Machinedrum + MIDI-Keyboard

Hello,

My Machinderum MIDI OUT goes to Monomachine MIDI IN. Now i connected a Midi-Keyboard to the MIDI IN of the Machinedrum. I want to control the Monomachine via Midi-Keyboard, MD should stay master, Monomachine slave.

My Base Channel on the Machindrum is set to “–”, because i don’t want to control it with the Midikeyboard. My Monomachine Tracks listen to Midi-channels 1 to 6.

It doesn’t work when i use the MIDI IN on the Machinedrum and i dont know why. There are not that much MIDI settings, but i can’t figure it out. What am i missing?

When i connect the MIDI-Keyboard directly to Monomachine MIDI IN, it works. So it seems the Machinedrum doesn’t send the incoming MIDI from the MIDI keyboard to its MIDI OUT…

use the machinedrum midi thru, not the midi out

If you follow @huuper’s advice to connect the MIDI Thru of the MD to the MIDI In of the MM, then you will be able to play the MM from your MIDI keyboard.

However that will prevent you from tempo synchronizing the two Elektron instruments, if that’s what you want.

It’s late here so I can’t hook up my MD to try out your scenario, but you could try:

• retaining the MD MIDI Out to MM MIDI In connection;
  • setting the BASE CHANNEL setting on the MD to something other than “–” and something other the MIDI channel number on which your MIDI keyboard is transmitting (like “13-16”);
  • using a MID machine on the MD.

Which MIDI keyboard are you using?

Yes, Machinedrum tempo syncs the Monomachine, so i need to use the MIDI OUT. MIDI THRU is not an option.

I use the Arturia Keystep.

I think i will use the Monomachine as master, and Machinedrum as slave, so i can use the MIDI IN on the Monomachine to play it with the keyboard. I think this will be the best solution. I’m just used to setup Machinedrum as master and Monomachine as slave. I just thought it should work with the MIDI-Keyboard on the MD MIDI IN… confused.

2 Likes

just got one of these for this exact setup, works great so far