Machinedrum input machine

Hi!
Could anyone tell me how exactly the input machine works and also why the machinedrum is sending midi notes from channels where drummachines and not midi machines are assigned to?
Having a mk1 uw and thinking about getting a mk2 uw instead as i want to sequence my minitaur with it and am not too happy with having just 32 steps. Would you recommend the hassle of selling the mk1 and buying a mk2?

There are three different INP machines: GATE, FILTER FOLLOWER, and ENVELOPE, each described in detail on page A-11 of the manual. What are you trying to achieve? What have you tried already? What problems are you having?

The MD’s controls send out MIDI data on the base MIDI channel and the next three channels. See page 59 of the manual. You might consider following the advice given on page 59 to set the base channel to “–”.

You might try using pattern chaining or the song mode to overcome the 32 steps limitation.

Thanks for your answer.
Regarding the input machines - I tried a Gate machine, placed one as well as several trigs but I didn’t hear any sound. The md was connected through the master out.
Cool with the midi. To be honest I haven’T read the manual as I think it is not written very well and I have other elektron gear which I know how to use. Maybe I should have a go but it definitely isn’t something to read in the tube or similar…
I was thinking about the song mode as well.
Not sure if this is possible - what I want to archieve is having the md running midi patterns which loop (preferably 64 steps) which i can change like I change a usual pattern so I can have several basslines for example and just switch in between them.

What sound source are you using? What settings are you using? Did you trig the track that has the GATE machine?

I think you should. In my opinion, the manuals for the MM and MD are better, with more tips, than those for Elektron’s other instruments.

Regular patterns will be fine for 32 steps. Do try pattern chaining and song mode in case they are acceptable compromises for you.

I plugged a cable coming from my minitaur into one of the machinedrums Inputs (i Think it is labelled a ). I placed and also several trigs in the channel of the input Machine.
Yeah i Think you are right regarding the manual

Again, what settings are you using for the GATE machine?

i tried all kind of settings. However I am not sure whether to plock the trig with certain values or just edit them.
however it doesn’t do anything regardless of the values.
what would be correct settings to just hear some sound?
it is automatically routed to the main out?

That depends on whether you want the sound to change as the sequencer moves through its steps. Start without p-locks.

VOL max
GATE min
ATCK min
HLD max
DEC max

Are you 100 % sure that the Minitaur is making noise and connected to the correct input (A or B)?

The routings are set up in the GLOBAL > ROUTING > OUTPUT menu.

Thanks a lot for helping me here . Gonna test this with another Source tomorrow. Getting Sound through the headphones out of the minitaur though. Just used the synth Engine of the md so far.

1 Like

hey yentz … i am also in berlin if you need a hand let me know

1 Like

thanks that is really nice.
i am not in berlin though - living in hamburg :frowning:
but i might say hi if we go partying in berlin :slight_smile:

cool. now i can hear the minitaur coming through. however nothing happens when i Change the Parameters.
What would be the best way to go ahead?
I did a factory reset as it did not work before. I notice that the sound is passing through regardless of the state of the input machine. Even when muted.
also i noticed the mk1 is really noisy. :frowning:

Even VOL has no effect?

Just noticed that I have to umute the channels for the machines to work. The sound passes through unedited when the machines are switched off