Machine Drum - midi to modular problems

Hello all.

I have a few questions relating to a patch I’m working on with the SPS1 as the heart with a load of modulars in tow. The machine drum clocks the eurorack [Metropolis and Braids] via 2 impulse machines but I wanna change the set up a little and need to free an output but I have nothing currently spare. I figured using midi from SPS1 to this ADDAC 402 midi in and generate a clk instead of the impulse machine thus freeing the output want:

When I press play on the drum machine, the sequences between it and the eurorack sounded wonky each and every time.

So I set up the SPS1 sequencer to play a simple sound on the same beat as the 1/4 note trigger out from the ADDAC (which is generated from midi) and realised it sounds wonky because they’re not synced at all. So the midi out plays irrespective of whether the sequencer is played/paused/stopped. Unless you hit play exactly on the beat the sequencer keeps that offset with the midi generated beat and the sequencer.

I hope this makes sense so far? Is there anything that can be done about this?

I also found than when messing with the data entry knobs it would slow the midi clock. Once you stop playing with the data entry, the steady beat returns to where it was but it would seem touching the data entry would kill anything being clocked by the midi and send it out of sync with what was being played/heard from the SPS1 sequencer.

Is this a known thing? Again is there much that can be done about this?

Assume you have “Tempo out” in the Sync menu set to on in the global settings? Maybe you only have transport (Ctrl Out) on so the module is receiving a start signal and begins playing at its internal tempo? Or the other way round? Check they’re both on.

Also, hello if you’re MG from LFGSS. :slight_smile:

DO.A.SKID

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’ve just tweaked my OP slightly hopefully making my question clearer…

6 posts were split to a new topic: Machinedrum sample playback duration

Sounds like you should contact ADDAC about this. The MD only sends standard MIDI clock, no fuss.

Hi Simon ,

so you think the data entry knobs on the SPS1 are choking the ADDAC’s 1/4 trigger out (via midi)?

Ah I see. Yeah, the MD will send its encoder data via MIDI.
Go into Global menu, select Control > Base Channel and press Down until it reads ‘–’, this will make it so that none of the tracks send MIDI unless there is a MIDI machine loaded in it.

1 Like

I don’t use modular but I had a look at the ADDAC 402B manual.

Have you checked to see whether the 402B is set to respond to MIDI transport messages? On the 402B, it appears to be called “Remote Control”.

Without @Ess’s workaround of switching off the MD’s MIDI Base Channel, the MD’s knobs will pump out MIDI CC messages. The 402B has an interesting MIDI spec in which MIDI CC messages can do all kinds of strange things to the sequencer operations. It could be that the MD was not choking the 402B with MIDI messages but instead activating some of these exotic sequencer functions.

Yeah I have it turned off. I cannot quite remember if it was on or off at the time but I do know turning SPS1 base channel to “–” stopped the chocking effects. :+1:

I’ve never really used midi but the ultimate plan was to use the 402B to be able to trigger my Emu world sounds synth with euclidean patterns (from the ADDAC) alongside the modular with the SPS1 as the hub, but it doesn’t appear that syncing the midi out clock with its own on-board sequencer is possible…unless there is something I’ve missed?

I’m not sure whether what I wrote was clear - I was recommending that you try turning on “Remote Control” on the 402B, as well as activating CTRL OUT on the MD.

Thank you.

1 Like