Macbook 2018 broken USB2 and Overbridge

Hey, I don´t know how well spread the Info is, but USB2 on the 2018 Macbook Pro and Mac mini seems to be completly broken for audio. All major brands like rme for example having trouble, getting there USB2 connected interfaces to work. Sounds like the T2 ships takes the audio stream from the high priority stack. And this still isn´t fixed, which is absolutly insane for broken USB2 in 2018. Good work apple :wink:

Since Overbridge 2.0 is USB2 I was wondering if any Macbook 2018 Users already have expierienced dropouts while streaming audio?

1 Like

I’m on a 2018 mbp, other then the usual glitches on OB it seems to work fine, other software/hardware is fine

which audio interface are you using aside from the elektron box?

Interesting. Just got my MBP and my Roland Duocapture won’t stay connected on usb power. I figured it was something iffy with the dongle I’ve got. Will try it plugged it but I’d rather use usb power. Wonder if this is connected on some way

I´m not an expert, but there are pretty big Problems on the Audio side on USB2 on the newest Apple stuff.

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=27964

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8509051

1 Like

Best answer I’ve found:
Mac 2018 USB issue

The post is about Mac mini, but the same applies to MacBook Pro.

Do you have the i7 or i9?

I’ve heard of a lot of i9 issues, but not as many on the i7 2018.

yeah read that too, because i have an rme interface. only way around seems to be an 150€ TB3 Dock.

The Problem is not related to the Processor used. I7 as well as i9 and i5

It‘s remarkable that there is still not much hardware to solve this issue. The 150 bucks CalDigit Thunderbolt 3 hub has many bad reviews on Amazon (flaky cable and more).

Got the 16“ Macbook and experience lots of trouble even with the Model:Cycles. And Apple still plays the „we have never heard about this before“-card.

1 Like

I have to say that I’ve had a CalDigit TS3 plus for a year now, no problems at all. Using it with a 2018 Macbook Pro. It’s hard to imagine getting excited about a hub (especially not a relatively expensive one!), but this has been one of my best hardware (but non-synth) purchases in ages. Powers my Mac, no plugging in/out multiple cables when I want to take my laptop out of the office, delivers tons of power for charging other stuff, no audio issues with soundcard/OB, very solidly built.

I thought that this USB soundcard issue was fixed now, though?

But it only has two USB ports - I need at least 3…

edit: okay sorry I see you got the big one … also one cable is not an option since the 16“ draws around 90W when „full on“

Yesterday I was reading on the RME website where people also said it was fixed - some said they use the original apple USB-C to B adapter …maybe my adapter sucks? Elektron… why USB2… :frowning: