Mac and windows 2019

Acer H7 H277HU 27"

To be clear I’ve been ‘Involved’ with PC’s since the late eighties or whenever the 386 came out.

I’ve always pushed the machine to the max, rendering in the early days, waiting days to see the result (POVRAY) then getting into 3DSMaX with dual P2’s, still waiting days to see a minute of animation.

I’m not a fan of Apple of MaC at all, seems very ‘Fan Boy’ related and hideously overpriced.

Folk think it’s good coz it’s so expensive, oh dear. I’d go for cheap , ugly and powerful any day!

Sure they look nice and the O.S. holds your hand but that’s the last thing I’m interested in. Mind u Win10 is getting a bit ‘Mumsey’ too!

You’re way better off with a UNIX variant (LINUX) etc if you want the best OS however there’s far more Win and MaC progs out there and guess that’s why we go down that road.

If you want the ultimate, you’re always best building your own (been mentioned on here already) and it’s incredibly simple, if not a bit bewildering with the plethora of MBoards and RAM speeds etc.

However second Hand PC’s are so cheap, why bother buying or building new when any i5 quad core and 4-8GB ram will do the job nicely? Add an SSD, you can squeeze Komplete 12 and win10 onto at 128GB.

Audio wise for you muso’s I’d always use off board, I run a Motu 828X but any USB to audio interface is fine.

Str.

2 Likes

One way to objectively test your PC/MAC is to load some ensembles or blocks from Reaktor 6.

There are some ensembles for testing, user called Arachnout, he “made” this : https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/7703/

There are not that many laptops that can run these CPU heavy ens…

Thanks, will give it a blast on my el chepo i5 and my somewhat more expensive i7 and report back in a few weeks…

Str.

Glad for you. I have plenty of apple products but don’t know or care about what metal is.
I will say I hate apple anymore bc they don’t produce quality hardware that’s meant to last. I want it easy. Not a programmer and don’t want to be.
But Im left wondering what to do when almost every product from apple I buy dies or has problems.
Bought 4s, died replaced. 5s, died got another and it died too. 6s, sent for repair. Again it’s broken.
Bought a last model mbp retina, battery cord works sometimes. iPad Pro wouldn’t work with new mbp until multiple tech support instances.
Ok, why still buy apple then?
The OS is integrated with English and in a foreign country that’s hard to find or had been until recently.
Also, the OS is user friendly and like I said, no programmer.
I have seriously thought about moving back to windows but many ppl seem to complain about it lately as well.

Btw t, do you work for apple? If so, ask them if planned obsolescence is a talking point at meetings or do they keep it hush hush?

don´t go for mac audio these days…they are completly blowing it right now.

I’ve been using Macs since 1992 so I’ve been through the transition from MacOS 9 to MacOS X, and then the transition from PPC to Intel. If Apple plays things like they’ve done previously there’ll be some sort of translation layer that will let Intel apps work with ARM hardware. The carrot for developers will be the speed increase that will result from coding native apps for the new architecture.

The issue IMO will be plugins - it’s one thing to update the DAW, another to ensure legacy plugins will work. That said, if Apple goes to ARM it may mean all the AUv3 plugins on iOS can be ported to the MacOS via Marzipan. Interesting times ahead.

ARM would be amazing as a platform, met a couple of Welshies (folk who live in Wales) in the late 90’s who had some ARM computers and they were way ahead but lacking the ness programs we all need.

RISC is the best method for computing if the code is written from the ground up i.e. ‘assembler’ etc.

Would take an age and at great cost but would be a massive improvement, Apple would (could) be one of the only companies with the balls and the finance to pull it off.

Meanwhile I’ll stick with win7 pro 64.

Str.

I’ve had no issues with any of my Apple hardware. Still rocking a 2013 MBP that is still going strong, and my previous MBP lasted for about 5 years also, and was still fine when I sold it (for a decent price, I might add). though I was planning to upgrade my machine this year so that I can run some more juicy Reaktor ensembles and to future proof it for the next few years. I might hold off until the USB audio glitches get fixed though.