Lumi (Roli)

May be of interest to some. Roli have released this:

It’s on Kickstarter and looks kind of ridiculous but nice in equal measure. Would make a nice addition to an OPZ!

3 Likes

As I progress thru actually playing rather than coding music, I find all these “neo nano keyboards” less and less appealling…

I have a Komplete s61 first gen and I initially thought that I will learn to play with all the light guides and stuff…As far as I find the keyboard really enjoyeable I never learnt anything until I actually took ( a sometimes hard ) time to practice in a more classic way… I hope it will do for some but I’m doubtfull… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I agree. However, I have a mate who I know this would work great for. He’s no keyboardist but loves music and loved stuff like guitar hero. This sort of marries the two in a way that would work for him.

I’d love to learn how to read sheet music better but can’t be arsed these days . Get by ok without it haha.

So close! I have been looking for a modern regular keyboard with poly aftertouch. This one is pretty close. Would have prefered full size keys, and more keys. But the last one can be fixed with connecting more of them.

Color me interested (pun mildly intended). I’m going to take a longer look at this today. I have somewhere close to zero skills with keys, but I’m always interested in learning. This seems like a decent option.

1 Like

This isn’t for me either – but hell this is for somebody – the Kickstarter is already triple the goal and there’s 29 days left. It just started.

ROLI will be making a ton of these, and if they get surprised by added cost when they get this ready for manufacture (they probably won’t) they’ll go bankrupt.

I use Synthesia occasionally with a regular sized keyboard and found that useful sometimes for practice of certain sorts of drill like exercises. (There’s a Synthesia looking software thing with LUMI.) But otherwise it’s good old style practice for me.

(And climbing – watching the dollar counter on the ROLI Kickstarter is like watching a sign with the amount on a government lottery, it goes round and round. They will top a million – or two, or three, before they finish.)

1 Like

I’m sure in one of the many videos that was confirmed. I do like the modular side of this one but just feels a little too gimmicky for me.

1 Like

I think I saw someone else developing something like this , maybe twisted electrons ?
The Kickstarter seems very popular .

Im a sucker for stuff like this and i will predict this one will find it way to dark room jam videos with all the flashy lights :grin:

2 Likes

I think it was this.

1 Like

Twisted Elektron’s Rainplay Kickstarter

Which unfortunately failed. They should try again. I like this idea better than the LUMI educational part.

ADDED: I think they brought it out as a product anyways. It’s not Twisted Elektrons now though.

Coloured lights beat dots .

Why oh why couldnt they make this as a 61 keys with physical midi! And regular size keys…

Anybody using one of these? I’m really I terested in some experience as I’m thinking of making this my Xmas present.

1 Like

Just looked at the other options you posted, thanks. K-boars is interesting too, especially regarding the price. Can the hydrasynth do that pitchbend modulation per key thingy? For aittle upprice you would be getting a lot more with that option.

I really just want some keys where I can bend stuff by wiggling my fingers. I’m not into modwheels or such. Doesn’t feel intuitive to me.

I’m wondering if akai or other named controller producers will jump on that wagon soon

Pros

• Light
  • Lights
  • Extensible
  • MPE support
  • Works wirelessly
  • Works with ROLI accessories (magnets)

Con

• Poor key press detection. Impossible to play with a light touch

So, despite all it’s pros, it’s frustrating to use because of the con, especially when trying to use it as a MPE controller.

2 Likes

I’m thinking maybe the kboard should be my first step, even though it doesn’t have polyphonic aftertouch. But it has the type of expression I’d need.

Thanks everyone