Lowest Latency Audio Interface

I have, but losing half my processing power to get the equivalent latency reduction of moving my monitors 24 inches closer to my ears seems like diminishing returns :wink:

Gnihihihiii.
You know the physics.
But did it work well?

Im using motu ultralite mk4 connected to motu 8a via ethernet. motu 8a connected to computer via thunder with 1.9ms roundtrip

Buffer Size: 64
Sample Rate: 48khz

typo edit: ultralite avb to 8a

1 Like

Motu 8A @ 4ms round trip with 32 sample & 48khz
Win10 & USB3

1 Like

Fireface UCX, hands down

At what samplerate?

I have a Clarett 8Pre on the way, I will report back once I get it all set up :content:

Christopher don’t forget to download the focusrite EQ and compressor model
Ed after the red model counterparts. The compressor is mostly transparent but the EQ allows you to add some color. Those EQs and compressors plugins sell for 300 if you don’t own the clarett. Peace!

1 Like

Don’t worry I had my eye on those freebies as a little deal sweetener!

1 Like

That is the buffer size. I meant F(s), eg. 44,1, 48, 192kHz

Antelope Audio Zen Tour

Well enough, but not for me.
I’ll switch back up to 48khz once my Digitone gets Overbridge enabled.

I bought the Zen Tour and exchanged it within days. The whole registration experience felt sketchy and outdated. Their website is loaded with dead pages, firmware links that don’t do anything, not to mention the software is always connecting to some strange server. The whole thing felt like 1997.

I’m sure the unit itself sounds amazing, and their FX have a great reputation, but it seems more oriented to guitars than synths.

Anyway, I saved some cash by exchanging it for the Clarett 8Pre X and I couldnt be happier.

4 Likes

You were too quick to judge in my opinion. It has a small learning curve. Much like Elektron hardware. If you know how to use it there is really nothing else like it. It was guitar oriented in their marketing, but with recent effects updates it’s more producer / band oriented and very capable for synths. 8 ins (expandable to 24), modern and vintage latency free effects, microphone modelling, a tape machine, effects sends, works standalone, controllable and compatible with iOS devices. And last but not least. You don’t pay for new effects and emulations like you do with Universal Audio. The software is not perfect, but they constantly update and improve it.

Yeah, under Windows you can sometimes archieve smaller latencies than under macOS, which I am using. Ive seen systems, where rme could deliver roundtrip latencys lower than 2 ms on windows. For standard usb-audio on mac almost all audio interfaces but rme archieve round about 8 ms, rme cuts that in half. But its also important to test the latency with a loopback cable as ableton live does not always report the correct times.

2 Likes

Just to add for anyone wondering, picked up a Presonus Quantum 2 last week for a sampling project.
Simply blown away with the latency.
2.72ms round trip latency @ 44.1k 32 samples.
3.45ms round trip latency @ 44.1k 64 samples.
1.33ms round trip latency @ 96k 32 samples.
0.91ms round trip latency @ 192k 64 samples.

Did some audio comparisons with a Motu 828 m2, Mackie interface & a Traktor one.
Definite sound quality improvement as well. Only pity is no ‘option’ to use an onboard mixer. I get why they did it to speed things up & hit price point, but would be good to have a stand alone setting where one could if one wanted to.

Alternatives I looked at were Audient 44 (supposedly great but sold out and slower), RME (price), new Motu (none available to test) and Behringer XR18 (wanted but not the best option for sampling tasks I think)

2 Likes

Just got my Focusrite Clarett 8pre. Couldn’t be happier with the latency, sound, and control software. Not to mention it’s a cool ass red :cool:

Record settings I use reliably. I can up the sample rate for slightly decreased latency at the expense of some CPU but I don’t really care as playing my synths through effects feels instant at this point.

Highest record setting but my little macbook pro 2016 can not handle.

2 Likes

Yeah that is impressive. Does it come with mixing software/interface for use with without computer?

1 Like

I actually still haven’t pulled the trigger :sweat_smile: The Quantum interfaces have been on my radar again lately (mentioned above by @AdamJay as well). I hadn’t seen a lot of people using them who showed realistic results but it’s definitely warming to me more.

Right now I can realistically pull off high 3 to low 4ms round trip with my old beat up MOTU Ultralite MKIII Firewire only interface.
I have something like 97 adapters to convert it to my USB C ports on my 2016 MacBook Pro (dongle from hell).
The old firewire ports are super loose too so I can’t trust it to stay connected in an environment with vibrations.

I guess I could replace the ports but I got it sometime before I was born so I think it’s time to upgrade…soonish.

Cheapest option for lowest latency is the RME Digiface USB (400 Euro) combined with 4x ADA8200, which gives you 32 I/Os and the awesome RME driver latency & support.

1 Like