Low output levels on the A4?

Maybe i´m fully wrong but today i’ve got the impression that the output-levels are quite low when loading a new project and using the A4 on monitors and not via headphones (i used to do this the last six month)

i usually routed the A4 thru the OT and did the leveling inside the OT

but this time everything was running thru my MOTU into the DAW … i mean the OT is blowing everything away … the A4 has to be ‘trimmed’ up on my interface to reach the nearly the same levels as the OT

i must admit that i used the same procedure as on the OT, keeping track-levels and of course OSC-levels low

but even when the master-volume-pot is cranked up to the max … the overall sounds is low

as i said before … i used headphones and the OT as my mixing-equipment and now i 'd like to bring the things to the files

anyone the same experience?

I also experience low output levels. I have my A4 routed through a NI Komplete Audio 6 and have the A4 volume at the maximum output. In Ableton’s meters the highest readout has been about -4db. In a way this fine as I mix much lower than that in general, still seems odd that I have to turn the master volume knob to max to achieve these levels.

With headphones plugged into the A4 it is super loud.

thx for reply

i have quite a hugh amount of audio-material to record … when i switched between different projects and compared with the presets from Elektron i found out that the presets used a high amount of OSC-levels which drives the filter somehow into saturation …

most of my sounds are smooth, very gently (to my ears) and not too loud

My A4 is pretty quiet as well. When I compare to Bass Station II output, which is much louder. I have to boost the volume in DAW.

Different gear have different output levels. As long as the signal out is good quality (little to none noise floor and no clipping) this is never any problem. You can boost, compress or use a limiter to some extent without affecting sound quality.

On my A4 I found using balanced cables made quite a difference to the output levels. (Isn’t it +6db you’re getting with balanced compared to unbalanced cables? I’m not really sure but yeah, it does get “louder” anyways.)

Headphone levels depends on what headphones you have. Some are loud and some are not. Connect the headphones output to your soundcard/mixer and you’ll notice the headphone output isn’t much different from the mains.

Well thats the nature of different gear. i don’t know why you mentioned it
but maybe i should explain my fear of a faulty A4
I once got problems with levels on one output

Well thats the nature of different gear. i don’t know why you mentioned it
but maybe i should explain my fear of a faulty A4
I once got problems with levels on one output
[/quote]
Ok well that’s a different story, did you have it in for repair?

Yes… after month of waiting and a change with my monitoring-setup i wasn’t able to tell a difference level-wise

Since this incidence i used headphones and routed the A4 carefully thru my OT for more than 8 month.

This is the reason why i was so shocked about the low levels when i finally used my a4 without the ot but over a pair of monitors …

Does anyone else realize the Analog Four output levels on the presets are very low? I’m running it on Overbridge, same with my RYTM and the RYTM overpowers the sound so much. It makes me have to use my Analog Heat on the A4 channel for a little boost. I like my synth sounds powerful, but the A4 is sounding too weak…

1 Like

What is anyone considering “low”? Like an exact measurement.

I have no complaints with the output. The AK drives my 250ohm Beyers quite well. Due to this higher than usual (commercial headphones for eg.) impedance they are usually fairly quiet, especially with an iPod. I think they are supposed to be driven with a headphone amp. But some headphones are louder. Depends on impedance.

There are a bunch of gain stages on AK where the volume can be adjusted, but it sounds like the OT was being used as a preamp in this instance, to boost the signal rather than mixing in unity gain.

Maybe run the self test routine, assuming it can pick up on a faulty output… I’m guessing not.

No problem with output levels here either. The headphone output on my AK drives my HD600s just fine (300 Ohm), never have it above about a third of the way up, and I have the main outs running balanced directly into analogue input four (honestly, that was just by chance…) of my Crookwood mastering console. Sure, it doesn’t sound as loud as a mastered track with the AK main volume maxed, but when did instruments ever?

Posted before, but need help on this one again… I’m running the A4 on Overbridge and I cant get a decent volume coming out of it without overdriving it with the Analog Heat. Just sifting through the presets, everything sounds really low and thin. Compared to the Analog RYTM, the RYTM just blows the A4 out the water!

1 Like

I have the same problem. I have the rytm and the four directly connected with balanced cables into my rme multiface. For jamming and learning i am only using outputs 1 and 2 of the rytm and the four and record both stereo channels in ableton live without overbridge running. First i am not shure withe the levels of the rytm without using compression and distortion. I most have to push the level over 100 to 127 on amp page and on track volume page too. But i read that a value higher than 100 distorted the sound.
But that is only fine tune.

The levels of the analog four are only at 75 % of the rytm. At highest amp and osc levels.
What is wrong. Maybe but the a4 outputs in the level input of rytm and compress it too?

I am thinking forward for playing live with both but with an extra mixer.

1 Like

More comfortable with a decent mixer, for sure.