Low end of Analog Rytm kicks

If you have the X.05 firmware you can tune most of the machines very easily, no chart needed. I think there exists one though.

1 Like

I am up way too late and cant sleep so no examples off the top of my head but plenty of tracks where a big pitched kick handles bass and kick duties.

1 Like

Afaik, when talking about phase in this sense, it’s always about the relation between two or more signals.
So one signal might be out of phase with another. Phase shift implies a time delay, think about recording two indentical kicks, each on it’s own track, both triggered from a drum machine. Usually, they’ll sit perfectly in time with each other as they arrive at the inputs pretty much at the same time.
When you delay one of them (and you can do this easily in your daw, just use the track delay or move one along the grid), you’ll notice a change in timbre as certain parts of the signal cancel each other out. This happens because certain frequencies are rising in amplitude while others are falling (think about the waveform and how it goes up and down).

When talking about eqs, it means the eq does it’s thing, and it can cause phase change in the eqed version compared to the un-eqed version.

Eqs alter the phase. If you wanted to get into the why, here’s a link.

I usually care a lot about technical stuff, phase shift due to filtering/eq is not really one of those, because if the sound isn’t right after the eq’ I’ll eq the signal in a different way.

I try to not have the same cutoff point on several signals even ehen they’re similar (steep eqs/filter can cause ringing at the cutoff point - ringing means they can oscillate which is basically due to the way eqs/filters work and again can result in phase changes ), so I might highpass at 420hz on one track and at 390 hz on the other. I don’t want the problems to add up, but other than that, I judge the result solely by ear. I use spectrum analysers only as guidance on where to eq/filter, but never to check the result.

Edit
Found a nice gif to visiualize phase cancellation:
outofphase
Look at the two sine waves on the top, as the phase changes, you can see how it affects the amplitude in the summed signal at the bottom.

Source

8 Likes

Maybe this could help for a better Lowend.

6 Likes

Yeah thats really useful thanks. I guess my other question would be re that plot, if the signal is analog, wouldn’t it already really look like the blue/red curves and not the green one which seems digital? I’m assuming the x-axis is time and not sure what the y axis is.

1 Like

This is just some random image I pulled from google, it might not even be about filtering and phase. But it illustrates my point :innocent:
Just assume x-axis being time and y-axis being… generic signal amplitude.

The phaseshift applies to both analog and digital domains. Sure, maybe if you zoom in down to the nanoseconds, the analog signal looks like red/blue. Still, if you’d filter that some more, the same phaseshift and whatnot happens, just on a much different scope.
But in the normal audio scope – regarding time – a stepped signal like this can be assumed with adequate accuracy (?) both in digital and analog domains. You know, think of that as a lowpassed squarewave.

just google phase cancellation, then you’ll see what it means

i choose not to tame the beast

2 Likes