Low cost stereo "betterizing" unit for master out?

record onto a (reasonable) cassette deck. Noise reduction can be interesting on some material. Or just run your output pair into it on rec/pause and route the deck output into a digital recorder.

3 Likes

OTO Boum. I’ve been very impressed with mine. For my style it has been getting better results than my high end mastering plugins.

2 Likes

Bingo, … but I do understand why not everyone would love it or have the patience for it. Finding the right levels and going through the trial and error of getting it right can be a bit frustrating, but the nonlinear results can be fantastic.

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face: yeah it’s a bit tweaky. Finding a good one in OK condition too… I lucked out with a Rotel deck when someone in one of the more well-heeled suburbs was clearing out their garage.

Recording onto a cassette 4-track can also sound pretty good. Or through an early-ish Behringer MDX compressor (no seriously)

1 Like

I put this on Digitone tracks almost by default these days. I love it.

1 Like

you won’t regret it, good choice :thup:

1 Like

alesis micro-limiter - under $100. adds glue and, perhaps, some grit (it’s a budget unit from the late 80s). i had a strymon deco and i think my ears are too unsophisticated to hear the value in it.

1 Like

I got a Heat, as mentioned upthread, but I might try one of these out as well. Small and cheap and I don’t otherwise own a limiter.

Great advice (that I am probably incapable of following). Thank you for the software recommendations.

2 Likes

I didn’t previously see that you got a Heat – congrats! It’s a great box and mine isn’t leaving any time soon! You’re welcome on the recommendations. Everyone starts off learning plugins and IMO more importantly listening to differences vs. just functionality… I certainly had a steep learning curve. And the learning/listening never ends which is simultaneously exciting and daunting.

Good luck in your new adventures. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Enjoy your Analog Heat! That will give you plenty to work with, but for another ITB option I’d recommend trying CamelCrusher (free).

Setting the Tube knob to 9 o’clock, master volume and mix turned up all the way and other settings off, gives a pretty decent exciter effect. I used to run that before a limiter on my master and loved it, though I haven’t had a need for it since getting a Boum :slight_smile:

1 Like

Curious to hear your reflection down the line.

It’s a nice box with tons of features and potential. Even when it’s not “active” I almost always have it “on” to check levels as well as manage in/out with the impedance options.

I still haven’t played a live show without it either. It really helps to have something that you can tweek just a bit to accomodate the system.

You didn’t mention budget OP, but what about of Warm Audio Tone Beasts? Just got myself a single one to track monosynths and maybe big 808s etc. Or at that price range maybe a Culture Vulture or something.

I just picked up a rackmount Marantz “Professional” deck, looking forward to experimenting with it.

2 Likes

from what i’ve heard, it really does nail the SSL bus comp sound though. that said though, if OP is looking for color, an SSL style comp probably isn’t the one anyway lol :slight_smile:

1 Like

What about the BBE Sonic Maximizer. Didn`t heard the hardware but I often used the plugIns for that “extra” thing.

1 Like