Louder Than Liftoff Silver Bullet

Thanks! Please do report back once you’ve had it. Good or bad, I’m sure it’ll help other people too.

ok, will do

Oh… I forgot to mention one thing… feed it a -18dBFS level on the MIX inputs. That’s where it seems to be most happy. Depending on how hot the mix I get is I’m usually gaining it down a few dB in the digital domain prior to going out to the analog chain.

Also, read the manual. It’s pretty short and sweet but provides some good info and examples. PDF version is available on the LTL site if you haven’t already seen it.

1 Like

I’m intrigued by your setup. Are there other units besides the ones you mention here? What sort of stuff are you producing with this setup? Can’t wait to hear what you come up with when you get all the pieces in place. Cheers.

1 Like

I have other nice synths I love, but I really like keeping it simple with the Integra-7/Squarp combo. There’s something about how everything sounds so good together coming out of the Integra-7 that I really dig. I’m a huge fan of how the Supernatural drum kits sound with a bit of humanization and velocity randomization.

I plan on making Techno, Hip-Hop, and House beats with this rig; I’d love to share when everything comes together! I appreciate the interest in what I’m doing.

Did you get it? If so, what do you do you think? :laughing:

Ha, I actually haven’t even tested it yet. I wanted to rack it up with all the other pieces I ordered, but I’m still waiting on the Stam compressor, and the walnut rack I ordered just arrived last week. I had to return a Furman power conditioner that arrived damaged too.

I plan on finally messing around with it all (sans the Stam compressor) as soon as my replacement power conditioner arrives next week. I also have a Overstayer MAS at the end of my chain before hitting the Korg MR2000.

2 Likes

Super late reply, but man I love this thing. It brings so much to the table, and every feature is quality. The EQ is so effective, this thing is awesome!

2 Likes

Very cool! It’s a keeper for sure and I’d be a bit lost without it. Glad you’re enjoying it too!

1 Like

I’ll just leave this here… the GAS is incredible. :grimacing: :weary:

7 Likes

They really nailed it with this one. Adding EQ selections to the HF and LF, and moving the Air out on its own knob, this one is going to be great. I also see that they are working on some Mojo Blocks. Meaning that the N, and A is modular now, and the Color slot will also take these new Mojo Blocks. So you will be able switch them around as you please. I am also excited to hear this new aspect ratio in action.

1 Like

I love that you can open it up and drop analog modules in there.
Looks incredible (and unattainable!)

…i’m teased…but can’t bite this bullet…
my budget is already overblown for this year…

or is there a behringer clone of it, soon to come…?
:wink:

1 Like

edit: actually…

#gearslutz

Yeah, I can’t get one right now. It’ll have to remain on the ‘someday’ list for the foreseeable future. There’s some terrific upgrades between being able to add another module and the ‘air’ band being moved to a separate control. That said, I’ll stay happy with my MK1 version which is still as great as it ever was.

2 Likes

Oh jeez, just what I need, more outboard GAS when I truly have no business buying anything…

Yeah, the MK1 is still amazing, and it’s now a classic. And people may be able to get a deal on a used one as people maybe looking to trade up.

2 Likes

Anyone want to quickly talk me out of buying the silver bullet mkII? My name finally came up on the preorder list and I have 72 hr to pay if I want it but I am not sure it is worth the new increased price to me. These things never come up at a great time for spending money I guess…

Two questions jump out at me. First, I have enough analog stuff for my mix bus and I am pretty happy with what I have for ‘mixtering’ my tracks, but I don’t really have anything I like for tracking, so is it worth it if I am pretty much just going to be tracking synths, drum machines, and samples through it (and so probably not utilizing the eq very much)?

Also does it have a pretty narrow sweet spot? Listening to demos (mostly of the mkI though) it seems like it jumps from extremely subtle to distorted pretty quickly.

Anyway I am also lusting after the overstayer modular channel and really don’t want to get both either (although I am not sure the modular channel will ever be available again for a long time).

1 Like

Well, I’m going to tell you something that’s probably the opposite of my overall feelings toward it. Don’t do it. Sounds like you’re on the fence looking for a reason to say no. Don’t do it and be disappointed unless you’re in a place in all aspects to do so. Is it great? Yes. Is it a ‘magical’ solution? No. If you already have enough for your mix bus, then I’d take a deep breath and hold off.

Purely my opinion, but the LTL SB is far more subtle than it is aggressive. Its sweet spot is very much more towards the subtle end at least for me. It’s that 5% of goodness I miss from most plugins and is fun to use. If that’s what you want, IMO it’s well ‘worth it’, but is it going to fill a huge void or completely change your mixes? Absolutely not.

I too also really look at the Overstayer, but for my ears it’s generally much more aggressive and heavy handed. It sounds ‘good’ when being pushed a bit, but also when you want that aggressive, borderline too much and too heavy sound. Overall, that’s very different than the SB.

I use it for polish and a bit of vibe for sometimes otherwise pretty flat mixes – for that, it’s (for me) amazing. I think for a lot of people (probably most) an SSL Fusion likely has the quick ‘sounds like it’s really doing something’ character they want. The Overstayer is another step up from that. The SB is going to be to the left and more tame than both those.

Hope that helps you.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Not sure it helps me say no though lol. I have the SSL Fusion on my mix bus and I am surprised to hear that the SB is more subtle, maybe I am just not pushing the fusion very hard.

Do you ever use the silver bullet for tracking or just on your mix bus? I dont have any preamps or anything (I guess aside from what is on my big six mixer) and am very curious about tracking through a bit of analog gear as I hear a lot of people swearing by it. Thought the SB might be good for this, but maybe there is a better option in this case…