Loopop Julia Bondar video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTmYtetA8Bw

Watching this boggles my mind as I still haven’t quite wrapped my head around all the nuances of modular. She tells the beatstep pro to send certain MIDI signals to her MIDI boxes which then convert the signals to CV and get sent to a drum module? Do I have that right? And the same Beatstep Pro is sending MIDI signals to her Roland System 1m. How the hell does she keep the CV and MIDI routing all squared away? I mean Jesus I have a piece of paper for my band practices that tell me which bank and pattern to switch to…

3 Likes

Her modular setup is fixed, she never changes any of the wires. It’s more like a hardwired instrument than something you fiddle with each day.

For the patterns it’s just a matter of cycling through 1 to 100 each track in order.

Don’t get me wrong that set is amazing and I spent a number of hours studying it after I first saw it

For anyone wondering, she did not have the ground control module when this was performed

4 Likes

This is fascinating to me also, as someone that who has avoided the full-on euro rabbithole so far. I appreciate the idea of having things as fixed or repeatable as possible in a performance situation.

Also interesting that she chose a System 1m as her bass voice rather than all the euro options available.

2 Likes

especially mind boggling given she’s the co-founder and creative director of endorphin.es… it’s basically acknowledging endorphin.es has a big hole in their lineup when it comes to a synth that can produce great bass sounds

1 Like

hour and eleven minutes? nope.

1 Like

Roland’s ACB emulates some synths that were pretty famous for their bass sounds :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Haha I definitely skipped around. I thought the performance itself was kinda boring but it’s not really my kind of music.

She said it’s on the SH 101 setting

1 Like

you have it right. she could just send CV/gate/clock from BSP to the modular via 3.5mm cables but she likes it this way because faster/easier to setup. so the Shuttle Control converts from usb/midi for her. I’m not sure it’s necessary since she still has to plug in all those gate triggers anyway. she may be using more CV/gate outputs than the BSP can offer since she has two shuttle controls, but I’m not sure.

I get your confusion/amazement. but remember half of her patch is just connecting the gate triggers, clock, and cv/gate from the sequencer, plus audio from the modules (i.e. before you introduce modulation, it’s already a messy patch). if you have for example an analog RYTM, you have a similar amount of stuff connected to sequencing/audio, and have to keep it all straight in your head; you just don’t see any of the cables.

3 Likes

I think a semi modular like the 1m means she can cut out on a number of modules to keep her travelling setup light. Otherwise she would have to add a bunch of VCAs, envelopes, etc…

1 Like

I get that. I guess just setting it up (even if you leave it patched) seems like a headscratcher to me. Like, does she tell the BSP that she wants the “kick” pattern to go out of CV1? And then CV1 somehow corresponds with the shuttle MIDI? that’s what I don’t quite get. How many CV signals can the BSP send? 16?

BSP can send 8 drum gates, plus two channels of cv/gate/velocity, clock I/O, and of course midi. the drum channel in the BSP can send either midi or gates. likely what’s happening is she’s using the drum sequencing mode as normal midi, then the Shuttle Control knows which midi notes/channels correspond to which gates, which then fire the drums.

it does seem extra complicated. whether that was just for “cleanliness” or so she could get some Endorphin products in the configuration, I dunno.

How does the shuttle control know which gate is which? Like, she obviously patches the gate out from a specific CV to her kick, snare, hat, etc… How does the shuttle control know which gate CV is the kick from the BSP?

Shuttle Control is very configurable, it’s one of the reasons I bought one myself a while ago. The editor is here.

https://endorphin.es/cargo4/

1 Like

She mentioned that it saves her live setup time, having to patch 8+ cables each time vs leaving them patched to the shuttle control and then just plugging in the usb cable.

Oh so there’s literally a preset that interprets BSP MIDI info. I assume the drums are sent on channel 10 by default

Might be to have one element of the sound that can be changed quickly to create variation in a live setting.

That’s one thing I feel challenging when jamming with my modular. Getting changes fast enough so it don’t gets to repetitive and boring.

Tbh I thought her performance was pretty boring–the bass line got old fast. I was into seeing her setup and explanations tho

I didn’t finish watching the video, but found the performance demo a bit boring. I was just thinking that could be the reason. Not because she couldn’t get those type of sounds out of endorphins gear.

1 Like

right. we’re seeing her patch everything up here (to explain it) but gotta remember between gigs she would leave that all ready to go. I still don’t see a huge benefit, but I think that’s also because the eurorack/modular mindset is typically not to waste any HP if you can help it! I’d find something else to squeeze into those two spots and make do with patching up to the BSP every gig.

but she’s the one interesting enough to be featured in the video, not me. :rofl:

1 Like