Loom - Multidimensional MPE Ribbon from Aodyo

About size : Two Octaves

When i play melody on a ribbon, going over two octaves, and making pitch shifts more than two octaves, i some times find useful.

But harmonically, i mean from the ability to make a chord, two octaves has enough space for me to make any chord in any root. You can’t unwrap all the open chord inversions, but an arpeggiator can do that.

One thing i like in microtonal systems, is harmonically being able to bend parts of a chord just a little. To get the pure just tuning. Maybe moving the third around, or sliding two notes and transitioning from one chord to another. Like V to I, or ii to V, etc.

For weaving chords, two octaves would be enough.

I wonder about describing three, or four, or maybe even five notes, of an arpeggiated chord and being able to bend those notes just slightly, and have those bent notes arpeggiate.

The multicolored LEDs above each key, not sure but potentially, the color could feedback information on pitch bend ? Or perhaps the color might reflect on a vertical position change, that also might arpeggiate ?

About size : Finger Drumming

Eight pads, each a different percussive element, particularly if they each had an expressive playing surface, one for each of the four fingers of two hands, would work very well. I notice that the black and white guide stripes below the playing surface make nice sized square playing pads, about the right size.

It might be nice to be able to lay down a pattern, and have that pattern loop.

Bleh, still waiting for someone to release an Ondes style pulley system

I think you’re in the wrong thread. Perhaps you are looking for the Therevox thread ?

1 Like

I think one thing we often forget is that keyboard synths sort of derive from the piano, and the piano has an incredibly abnormally wide range compared to almost all other chromatic/pitched instruments. This is sort of like if we judged all dogs by Great Dane standards.

So, two octaves is plenty for most instruments to be quite expressive. That said, I wouldn’t mind a mode that extended the range at the sacrifice of dis-orienting the surface from the markings surrounding it.

2 Likes

Like the way you can expand and shrink the 4 octave Hydrasynth ribbon to 2 or 6 octaves.

1 Like

Wow, beyond my expectations! 2 and 3 octaves, the lateral slider, the action zone… Well thought, well marketed. And the crowdfunding price points…

The video makes evident that this ribbon has way more depth than the Omega’s, making it more of a controller on its own indeed.

1 Like

Yeah ! Backed !!

Yeah, I told myself I wasn’t going to back and yet here I am backing a three-octave. This is a really well-prepared launch.

1 Like

In case you feel limited by your Osmose !

Expressive E was saving this place for them.

2 Likes

What I need to decide is, is this and an Omega Keys a duplication for me.

ADDED : Plus i have a Hydrasynth Keys.

1 Like

Same, except with the two-octave. :slight_smile:

Also:

You can send a specific MIDI message to enter developer mode, where every input will be sent as-is, and you’ll be able to control the LEDs and display by sending MIDI SysEx messages to the Loom from your own program or script running on your computer.

This is one of those details that I personally won’t use but that increases the seduction I feel for a product. “Hackable” devices attract tinkerers, and then unexpected things may happen.

1 Like

:100:

Even if you don’t get fancy with this, making simple changes to existing layouts may make a lot of sense.

For instance putting your own choices of specific chords into the strum mode could be very useful.

I wasn’t sure when I first saw it, but more I watch, the more I thought it looks good.
yeah, I think it be a nice addition to an Osmose… not sure Id balance on the levers :wink:

the only question with these things, is how accurate/sensitive the the touch is, as you can’t tell this without trying… and we’ve seen a lot of ‘variability’ of this with past mpe controllers.

Im also a little surprised, given its Aodyo, they didn’t put a synth engine in, to make it standalone (as well) … feels like a missed opportunity.

overall, Im tempted… but just backed the ET 2, and really dont need yet another controller :slight_smile:

1 Like

Stepping out of my musician shoes and into my music fan shoes, I’m pretty excited where the next generation of synth players takes all these things once we get past the wobbly overdone vibrato show off stage. Funny that we had all this with the theremin at the start of electronic music and then we just normalised and quantised all the human expression away.

I like getting feedback from instruments so I think this static wood thing is out for me but excited about the future of all of this in a world when the vast majority of keyboards don’t even have poly aftertouch.

1 Like

Counterpoint: synths took the piano and made mod and bend standard. So we’re still ahead of the game, expression wise.

Continuous surfaces like the loom are always welcome additions, though.

1 Like

Another odd counterpoint is that I still don’t quite understand how my piano is the most expressive instrument in my house as if it were a synth it’d have terrible specs!

2 Likes

I wish I could get excited about most of these MPE instruments but yeah the lack of any defined tactile feedback is what kills it for me too. Maybe if I tried one I’d feel different but based on my pure unbridled hatred for touch screens I can’t imagine it going too well. I think this looks better than most of them though, if for no other reason than the organic textured surface. And I feel much more inclined to play with tapping on hard surfaces than pressing into squishy material.

I’d love to see stuff like this but with clever haptic feedback tech of some kind.

Finger drumming.

3 Likes