Looking for Lfo trick advisor

Hi everyone I’m trying to configure
the parameters to have a sinusoidal modulation with LFO …
From which wave to start: square or triangular …?
How to fold the wave?
Or To use two inv exp waves?

Tnx a lot
.A.

Please have a look at P36 of the manal and choose a waveform and its trigger which fits best to your needs. I would try the IEXP. I think you will need a scope. :relaxed:

I would need a sinusoid :elmm:though thank you …

2 lfo: exp vs inv exp delayed :thinking:

oh, I forgot to mention: the MM hasn’t got one. :elmm:

… or one LFO, using LFO trigs and p-locks on Wave and Depth to alternate between EXP and iEXP shapes.

Do you need an exact sine wave modulation, or just something close to it?

2 Likes

Just use the triangle shape and stop worrying about it. In the context of an arrangement no one is gonna be like “they really should have used a sine shape, that triangle is super harsh”. Not meaning to be dismissive, but the music you make is what people are really listening to. As producers we often get lost in the minutiae of what we are doing, it’s good to take a minute to zoom out and look at the bigger picture and not worry so much about how one got from point a to point b. It’s an attitude that will make you more productive :nerd_face:

thank you very much
Peter nice trick…
but [quote=“knobgoblin, post:7, topic:41509”]
As producers we often get lost in the minutiae of what we are doing, it’s good to take a minute to zoom out and look at the bigger picture and not worry so much about how one got from point a to point b. It’s an attitude that will make you more productive
[/quote]
Knobgoblin talk about the base trick not to forget
so p-Lock and play.
I love my monomachine every year more and more.

Thank you all

1 Like

Could you use a triangle LFO, but with another (inverted) triangle LFO, same speed, controlling the depth of the first LFO? I’m not sure if that’d give a sine wave; I’m not even sure it’d be easy to test…

You are halfway there. But you need to have a circuit that can block most of the signal except the tops and bottom. Say the lfo swings between -1 and 1. Remove all of the signal between -.5 and .5 so you have a flat line with triangular spikes in between. Mix this inverted against the original triangle and you can get close to sin, but this isn’t something you can do on the MnM. At least that’s the wavefolding trick at the heart of a certain buchla inspired eurorack oscillator that I have some history with

My idea is a bit like this, not sure if my math is completely off, but I might give it a try tonight if I get time. I’m not sure how I’ll be able to prove it if I’m right, maybe with LFO set to pitch and using a spectrum analyser…

LFO1:
Target: whatever you want to control
Wave: TRI
Speed: doesn’t matter
Depth: 96

LFO2:
Target: LFO1 depth
Wave: ITRI
Speed: LFO1 speed * 2
Depth: 32

When LFO1 is at either maximum or minimum, LFO2 is at minimum, therefore LFO1’s depth is 64. When LFO1 reaches zero, LFO2 is at maximum, making LFO1’s depth 128. This has no effect here, but the midpoints between zero and min/max value should create a curve (I’ve crudely illustrated it here but it should be more smooth).

Looks promising. I think you would need to p-lock lfo trigs sync with separate trigs in order to get the phase offset required since MnM lfo’s don’t have a phase start parameter…edit nvm. Forgot about the inverted shapes

Yeah, but that does raise an important issue, that these should be synchronised by setting both LFOs to the TRIG behaviour. They could be left unsynchronised, but I’m guessing any changes to the speed would throw it off until the LFOs get reset… perhaps one trig with the LFO behaviour locked to TRIG could be placed at the start of the pattern.

Just graphed it with a little more precision (by hand; my math knowledge is not good enough to be able to do this in a graphing program). Looks like this might be the one!

This has been an interesting thought experiment! If I knew how to properly set this up with real graphs, I could show how the other wave types would affect each other, and also show how the depth and speed settings would affect the LFO…

2 Likes

Hmm, I couldn’t quite get it… I think the phase of the LFOs aren’t right. I managed to set one to 64x2 and the other to 63x4 and it formed a sine at a certain point of the phasing, but I can’t figure out where it happened… Theoretically the above diagram should be accurate, but being an Elektron device, it has its quirks, so it’s probably some limitation of the DSP. Perhaps there’s a lag somewhere, or I’m doing it wrong…

I know it is off-topic, but I enjoy LFOs when doing some stereo spectrum experiments modulating the PAN parameter (often P-locked) and this brings some much more life to any Monomachine track.