Looking for individual instructor to better learn Rtym MKII

Hello. I keep struggling in a few areas as I learn how to use the MKII. Am looking for individual instruction. Is there a good resource? (I’ve watched the MacProVideo/ask.audio series.). Any recommendations?

you want private 1-on-1 instruction? not sure you’re going to get that. especially these days…

what specifically are you looking to learn more about that you haven’t from that video series? have you looked at other YouTube tutorials? have you tried applying the lessons from them yourself? most people learn and remember more from doing, rather than just observing. start writing music with the thing, then you’ll have to learn it; and you’ll remember it then.

Thank you for the response.

Yes, I’m looking for an instructor for 1:1 lessons—via zoom.

I’ve wanted videos from BoBeats, Ricky Tinez, Cuckoo, and Loopoop as examples. Yes, I’ve invested around 20 hours in creating beats. I’ve downloaded soundpacks from Elektron, etc. I also find that for something I’m relatively new to, it’s helpful to have some 1:1 instruction where available, even via zoom/video.

Some areas where I continue to struggle are in setting up and saving projects; creating multiple kits within a project; moving between the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th measures (for editing or performance), saving different sounds from chromatic mode; scenes and performance. To be clear, I can save a project. Where I struggle is in transferring—if it’s possible—a kit from one project to another. And sure I can tweak the LFO, Decay, etc. Would also be nice to have a quick conversation with someone who’s been using an Rtym much longer for some guidelines or suggestions.

Net is I can continue to struggle through and sort all of these out in, say, 20 or 30 more hours. But I’d prefer to engage someone for 4-6 1-hour lessons (taking notes and then practicing), so I can bypass the frustration and spend more time making music.

As an analog(!), this worked well as I was learning how to drum. I would practice an online lesson for a few hours, then meet with a seasoned drummer. He would immediately see areas where I could improve (emphasize this sound, open hi-hat simultaneously) or add color to areas that were unclear in the online lessons.

Others may have different learning styles. This is what works for me.

1 Like

So extracting Kits between projects is a little more involved. it’ll require a computer to do sysex saves of the items you want to archive then you’ll need to send them over to the rytm once you’re ready for them. That’s one example I could see someone needing guidance on the first couple of times if you’re new to those processes (sysex backup is always worth reminding people to do tho :slight_smile: )

the other stuff is not too hard to but if you’re not married to the Elektron workflow I could see some of those navigation hiccups happening.

I don’t have a rytm anymore or I’d offer.

astricII,

Thank you so much for the response. That’s a helpful. (I feel slightly better that it’s not something simpler that I was overlooking.)

Most of my questions are pretty simple. I am sure someone out there could help. (And I am happy to pay for it.)

It totally doesn’t require SysEx. Here’s the answer from @void: Moving Kits - Project Management

(It totally wasn’t intuitive when I got mine btw)

Also, I’m not sure you really need 1:1 guidance. Just a few read throughs of the manual with the box in front of you. Go through it step by step, try out different things on a blank project, and it will soon make sense. Everything that can be done on the box is in the manual. From there, once you know all the functions, it’s simply a matter of taste and artistry as to what you do with it. And if you have specific questions, ask on here and someone is bound to help you out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Edit: Sorry, I somehow missed you mentioning you looked at this resource already, but I’ll leave the link up for anyone looking at this later, as it is a great resource for learning the RYTM, as well as Octatrack, Analog Four, Digitone, and a bunch of others.

Yes: from original post “(I’ve watched the MacProVideo/ask.audio series.).”

Helpful. Thank you.

Again, I understand I could sit with the manual and watch videos and get there in another 20-30 hours. I am looking for a 1:1 tutor to help accelerate the process.

1 Like

Idk man, these things cannot be rushed imo. Try appreciating the proces, get to learn the machine and just enjoy that instead of the possible future results.

4 Likes

exactly. and if you’re not happy with what you’re actually writing with it, there’s not much you can do other than just keep at it. analyze what you don’t like about what you’ve done, and what you like about what others have done, and adapt. it’ll improve with time.

Again, I understand different people have different styles of learning. I enjoy the process of learning more through working collaboratively with a teacher. And, I understand the contrary point of view to my own.

Some people enjoy or learn best from sitting in front of a machine or instrument for hours learning through trial and error. In some areas I do this too. And there is a subset of the trial and error group that believes you must “earn it” by doing the same thing. I believe is a fallacy. It discounts the value of teachers. And, besides, isn’t the real goal to have others enjoy the process of learning (in this case, how make music) in their own way?

What I’m looking for is an (paid) instructor to collaborate with.

1 Like

Agreed. It’s the best of the videos I’ve found and well worth the cost.