Thoughts on AH mk2 as my first Elektron?

Hi, I’m looking for my first Elektron purchase (again, long time ago I owned a Digitakt, but sold it bc I needed money), I’m a heavy ableton user and I am happy with the sounds what I can get out of Ableton, but looking for something to boost my sound a littlebit closer to the edge. I planning to buy all the Elektron boxes in the future, but I’m a young creative who just started living in the world, so now I don’t have all the money, this is why I thinking in just one box in this year.

My question is, what do you think, for a pure Ableton Live user, the Analog Heat MK2 is a good choise to reach the next level?

If it’s important, I make hypnotic, mental techno, heavily-compressed/filtered synth sequences, long lfo-s, 909 drums.

For an example: I was jamming with my friend who have a Xone 96 and we rooted my channels to the mixer, use the filters and EQs and recorded the master back to Ableton and my track get so much character and richness, the pure Ableton version was flat in comparison. Im looking for this feeling!

Thank you for your advices and sorry for my bad English,

Keep up the good work,
Lazly B

Analog Heat is a great bit of kit and it sounds like you have a good idea of what you want to do with it, so I’d say go for it.

8 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Be aware that even if Analog Heat can do pseudo-compression, it’s not really a compressor.
Filter, EQ, analog distorsion/saturation are where it shines. And ITB integration through Overbridge.

Choose mk2 over mk1, if you have to get one.
Maybe a second hand one, if you don’t have much money.

Welcome here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve seen a few people that are used to Ableton/DAWs get a bit annoyed with AH because of a lack of soft clipping and stuff like that which seems more standard on DAWs, but as long as you do your research and know what you’re buying, I reckon you’ll be fine. And if you buy second hand you can always sell it on for little to no loss.

2 Likes

My only advice would be take it steady regarding any ambitions to buy multiple Elektron boxes (or any hardware)

I bought 3 pieces of hardware along with ableton, and truth told it’s too much to get my head around at present.

6 Likes

If the Xone96 knocked your socks off you should consider getting that. It may be more useful in the future when combining multiple elektrons too.

Disclosure: I’ve used neither of those devices.

2 Likes

Thank you for the advice and everything. But the analog distorsion and etc worth it or a real compressor is better in a way?

Thanks, I don’t know the “soft clipping part” but maybe I find it

Thank you!

Define “better”.
Yours is surely not mine.

Actually, there are many different use cases for both.
I prefer an OTO Boum analog compression + distorsion + filter + volume boost for live use, but I’m rarely working with a computer.

And I’ve had much fun with the Analog Heat, either for making the sound “warmer” and harsher.
The LFO can go FM audio rate, so you can even use it for sound design and resample.

In reality, you won’t really make up your mind unless you put your hands on it and listen to what it does.

But AH is more subtle IMO.
OTO Boum is more immediate.

1 Like

Since you’re a pure Ableton user, is the idea to use Overbridge? Or are you going to route your audio out and then back into the computer to record through the Heat?

I personally think Overbridge might make a good case to get it, if that’s something you’re interested in. I don’t really like Overbridge for the other Elektrons, but when it comes to Analog Heat and Overbridge, there’s nothing else I know of for adding analog distortion to a DAW!

2 Likes

I’m more like a: producing tracks for the industry as effective and as quickly as possible guy, in my tracks I heavily do automatizations, kinda OCD level.
Btw I’m looking for the best solution not the Elektron solution, for example the Xone story was a big boost in sound but not that perfect in many cases.

I saw the OTO Boum in a few setup (lives), I will check out the posibilities with this machine too, thank you!

“Adding analog distortion to a DAW” this line is what I looking for, thank you :smiley: !
Yes I would use Overbridge totally. I dont want to route too much. Looking for something whats makes my Macbook goes “boom-boom-boom” :smiley: if you know what I mean

2 Likes

Indeed, OB integration makes it very interesting for your use case.

Beware, it’s not a magical trick.
You still have to understand what you’re doing (as in: crazy boost on the low end makes a poor track).
This is no hammer.

I don’t know how savvy you are in music production, though…

1 Like

I’m kinda intermediate, I doing it long time ago but in this year I got my first more serious releases, but I upload 3-4 track every week on this profile maybe check it out :slight_smile:

Thank you for your time and words!

1 Like