Looking for advices: what's a good guitar method for (young) kids

Hi everyone,

my kid, 7.5 years old, is continuously asking to get guitar lessons.

I play the guitar, I read music.

I started teaching him basic things, like a minor and a major scale, playing and singing the notes, positioning hands. Now I don’t know what to do next, so I am looking for advices. Do you have any method you’d recommand ?

As said, he is quite young, so a method specifically designed for kids would be better.
I speak french and my kids too, but if it’s inenglish it would work too.

Thanks for reading and wishing you a happy musical day :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You’re off to a great start. Next I would try to introduce him to the basic triad chords. Start with a single key like C major/A minor

You could maybe strum the chords and he could play scales over them. This way he could learn how to play in time as well.

Some very rudimentary metronome/drum machine could help as well. Nothing fancy or expensive.

1 Like

Learn a simple song together. Nothing better for motivation knowing you can actually play something awesome. Less theory, more real world stuff :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: it’s amazing how much you pick up playing other people’s songs. Then when you try something a little more challenging, like ooh this one has barre chord in it, you can take that knowledge on into other things. That’s how I experienced learning guitar at least :yellow_heart:

2 Likes

I’d say focus on hand eye coordination and fun. Like strumming rhythmicly and singing at the same time. There are many childrens songs that use only A and D for instance. Interaction, coordination and fun. In any order :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mon fils de 7 ans a très vite progressé avec celle-ci Je deviens guitariste

2 Likes