Looking for a simple polyphonic analog keyboard synth

The pro800 looks like it might be perfect. Thinking about sticking that in a eurorack case with a couple of effects pedals…

1 Like

Very interesting concept. If only it had midi out.

Pro 800. Sounds decent but…

No keys (desktop), external FX, and low build quality = a detached feeling and not inspiring. If indeed what you are after is inspiration and to get lost in sound design.

It does.

1 Like

Not to get all how dare you but I’ve played the OB6 a lot and feel I’m still only on the surface of what it can do. Especially with extra MIDI modulation you can make it do all sorts of weird and wonderful things. Most of what’s on YouTube or in the presets is vintage synth cliche which put me off at first but you can take it to all sorts of places.

:laughing:

What can I say! Ex-OB-6 owner, those are my thoughts. I actually enjoyed the Prophet 6 more.

1 Like

My bad. It’s not explicitly mentioned on the product page, but I confirmed it in the manual that the midi thru is also midi out. Hmm. Hmmmmm.

On the NiftyKEYZ :
Plus both In and Out can be 5 pin DIN or USB.

MIDI out can be from the keyboard or the built in sequencer.

MIDI In also functions as a 4 note MIDI to CV.

NiftyKEYZ thread.

1 Like

Anyone have any thoughts on the Behringer UB-XA?

Oberheim OB X8 or Prophet 10.

Vongon Replay.

Re : Behringer UB-Xa :

Poly-aftertouch keys ! Definitely fits your other requests.

Except, and this is a contradictory problem in your basic request, all these move away from simple.

2 Likes

I think that has parameters in menus as well, so not really wysiwyg.

Dreadbox Abyss has no presets but is only 4-voice.

Take 5.

5 Likes

Korg Prologue: simple, 61 keys, relatively cheap, 8 or 16 voice versions, I’m going to guess it has a manual (no preset) mode

4 Likes

That’s quite a challenge, as most poly synths have memories. Quite a number have modulation matrices in a screen menu. The UDO synths don’t have a screen and the modulations are easy to set up, but not easy to reverse engineer afterwards, as you can’t ‘see’ what modulations have been set up. However on any synth, if you set the modulations once, then leave them alone, you’ll avoid all of this. The Juno does so by offering very little other than envelope and LFO for modulation.

How about finding a synth that you like the sound of and look into whether you can treat it as you’ve described? A few have been mentioned with manual modes; pick up or latch mode on knobs and sliders can help; if it has a mod matrix, you could set it once and ignore. You might need to remember to save the one preset each time you power down, then on next power up the synth will be pretty much WYSIWYG.

That could open up the field to a big range of knob / slider encrusted synths.

1 Like

just curious, is juno 6 your budget? or I guess I should say air quotes juno 6.

Moog Matriarch?

Honestly just buy what sounds good to you. Nothing else matters.

You could do sound design for days, if the tone is uninspiring it’s a waste of your time.

1 Like

You don’t need it to be without presets. You just need it to have full controls on front panel. You initiate a patch and off you go.

Current DSI synths have this. eg Take 5.