Looking for a multitrack synth

It’s my fav option right now, as mentioned :slightly_smiling_face:
For the drums I think I will keep my model:samples but… Who knows :crazy_face:

1 Like

If you’re ok with (a lot of) presets, there’s the Roland MC-101. It’s the opposite of knobby though.

Digitone! it’s the only synth I own and it’s all I need!

3 Likes

I have been checking some videos today
Do you know if it has some kind of limitations such as: you must use 1 track for drums, and so on? 4 tracks for synth / bass sounds would be nice, but I have read very bad feedback about using it

1 Like

I think you can arbitrarily assign your tracks, and any one track can be a full drum kit rather than a single sound. I haven’t used one, but most of the complaining I’ve read has been that the synth engine is not editable, and the UI depends on a crummy two-line display. You might also be interested in the TR-6S, which is more of a drum machine in the same form factor, but can do some synth sounds.

1 Like

There’s a massive gap in the market here. But it’s mostly been cornered by Elektron and no one has come up with a better/cheaper solution afaik.

This is especially the case because of Overbridge.

There’s also the Teenage Engineering OP-Z, which is super fun, capable and portable, but has trash build quality. And there’s the Dirtywave M8, which is amazing, but it’s hard to get and the interface is definitely not to everyone’s taste.

@craig is right, there’s a big gap here.

1 Like

Really though: Digitone. It’s great, especially if you’re ok with working around the drum programming limitations.

Circuit tracks is pretty dope, 2 great sounding polysynth + 4 sampled drum parts + 2 midi tracks.

Only downside is to make from scratch your own sounds need to use software, however you can tweak sounds quite far using the encoders on the unit.

1 Like

I vote Digitone.

As others have mentioned, the Waldorf Blofeld is multitimbral and you can get those pretty cheap.

Also, how about getting a used A4 mk1? You can get those pretty cheap too.

1 Like

:sweat_smile:

Sorry?

People re-purchase gear all the time. I was just suggesting the idea of getting a mk1, since budget is a factor. I can refrain from suggesting anything further.

Surprised no one has suggested a Virus C yet. Beautiful sounding synth with lots of multi timbrality that can be had for less than $1,000 USD. The sound engine runs circles around the A4 and Digitone, though of course you don’t get that awesome Elektron sequencer. I sequence mine using a Digitakt.

2 Likes

JX-08? I have one and I love how it sounds… It’s a bit knobby and a bit menu divey but not bad at all. You can run 2 different sounding patches / patterns alongside each other and the fx section is broad and also sounds good. I got it mostly because I wanted something with a classic Roland sound and it appears to me to be a very capable synth with plenty of options.

1 Like

Sure :+1:t3:
Just wanted to read about some other options

1k would be a bit over the budget

Will give a look :+1:t3:

I bought mine for $700. You could shop around and make offers or get a Virus B for really cheap.

If not then the Digitone could be a good choice - it will have modern conveniences like Overbridge and a built in Elektron sequencer. Beautiful build quality as well. I personally wasn’t crazy about it’s sound palette, though that’s highly subjective.

1 Like

Dave Smith Tetra 4 seems to fit your needs.

2 Likes

I’d get an iPad and a controller keyboard… if you remove all the hardware snobbery/elitism from the equation, iOS apps are ridiculously good now, and nothing comes close to giving you that level of multitimbral power.

I would have an iPad with;

• Drambo
  • AUM
  • Bleass Omega (FM)
  • Bleass Alpha (VA)
  • Drum Computer

I’d have this before a Digitone… but I wouldn’t give up my Digitone, which also works great with the iPad (you can run the iPad synths audio into the DN via USB and sequence the iPad synths from the 4 midi tracks of the DN… it’s sweet.)

4 Likes