Looking for a good drum controller

Can anybody recommend a good, basic drum software controller that isn’t going to cost an arm and a leg. I need something for finger drumming which outputs the full range of velocities which doesn’t need to be hit with a hammer. I have had very little luck finding what I’m looking for. I had an AKAI MPD24 which I modified by putting plumber’s tape under the pads which improved the sensitivity but there were still annoying latency issues. The RYTM is hopeless as a controller and I just bought (and immediately returned) an AKAI XR20 which was worse than anything I have ever used. I have heard that Machine MIKRO is good but apparently there is an issue with the inability to edit the midi notes which it outputs which might be an issue… not sure.

my favorites:

1. Korg PadKontrol
  2. IK Multimedia iRig pads
  3. Launchpad Pro
1 Like

Akai MPD226 w/ MPCStuff Fat Pad + Corx upgrade

1 Like

…the actual mpc classic pad controlers from akai are cheap and do ALL the trick…

and nope…i was also falling for mpc stuff’s fad pads once…they don’t do the trick at all…
at least for me…way to heavy hitting needed to get them anywhere while all fragility is totally missing in action…

sooo many pad controler mpc rip off out there these days…never experienced one that could catch up with the real thing…stick with akai…

I had an AKAI MPD24 and it wasn’t good. It needed to be hit very hard and a lot of users were getting them modded because of that. But even after going through the somewhat tricky process of modding it latency was still an issue… not serious latency but just enough to ruin the feel of immediacy. I don’t understand why because there was never any latency when using the BOSS DR660 with the PC. I bought an AKAI XR20 which I thought would ok as a trigger but was actually terrible. Not particularly sensitive and sending out an extremely limited range of velocities.
“It turns out that with the Hard setting, only four of the rumoured eight velocity values are available, ranging from 80 to 127 (max). It also appears that the pads are rather inconsistent from one tap to the next. The result is that, at best, you can play each note loud, or slightly less loud.”
"https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/akai-xr20.
Just having the AKAI name is not a guarantee that it will be any good.

…oops…well, agreed…latency and fingerdrumming is a killer…
did’nt know they got so bad…but akai is not good old akai anymore since ages…

so, how about an older real mpc and old school rock solid midi connection…that worx for sure…and an old 1000 with jjos installed can be found second hand for around 500 bux…
and is than way more than just a controler but a real rock solid extra instrument also on it’s own behalf…

That’s very impressive but way more than I’ll ever need and I’m on a budget

I think AKAI fixed the pad sensitivity issues on their controllers in recent years but I don’t know about the latency. I’m considering the presonus ATOM but I’m using windows 7 so I can’t make use of the bundled Studio One software making it somewhat of a waste unless I “upgrade” to win 10 which I am loath to do. I could the plunge and get maschine 3 but it seems like overkill as I already have a RYTM for main sequencing duties.

Some good inputs’here:

He has other videos that can help to decide further on.

1 Like

The old MPD26 with upgraded pads and the old corx was amazing. Best pad controller I ever had, lightest tickle to the heaviest punch.

The new MPD2 range have different sensors on them, and MPCstuff changed their corx material. So for me, the new MPD2 range, not as good. Having said that, a modified mpd218 is pretty dam good, and cheap.

If this is the priority, a Roland Octapad SPD 30 could fit the bill. Big pads with large range of sensitivity settings. The sequencer is pretty limited memory wise, but can sequence a number of CCs simultaneously and does what it does well.

Ooh, the Zip looks really interesting.