Looking for a chair for the studio

My crummy office chair combined with Digitakt 1.30 are absolutely killing my back. I saw this thread and was about to try out the Hag Capisco until I found the Ergolab Stealth. It claims to be designed for audio engineers, the thought being it supports you when you’re leaning forward.

I can’t find as many real reviews as the Capisco but it’s cheaper so I’m considering it. If anyone has any experience with it that would be cool.

2 Likes

CAPISCO puls owner here!

I have severe back issues (multiple herniated discs) and I can vouch for the Capisco Puls.
Doesn’t look comfy, but the easy adjustability and general shape actually make it very pleasant to sit on even for longer sessions.
My wife has a Herman Miller Mirra chair and I certainly prefer the Capisco. it is also very space saving, which is an extra plus!

PS: buy it used and you can great deals.

I was going to buy the same Capiso Puls than I tried the Capisco 8106 and I found it much more comfortable and I thought it could be better for longer seating time.

But the price stopped me from buying jt (£900)

How comfortable is the Puls for long seating time?

1 Like

I find it very comfortable, even for longer sessions. I am quite a boney person, still I don’t mind the cushion-less seat version that I got.
The capos o Puls is also easy to clean and will probably last longer than the full cushion versions.

For my work, a bought a 2nd hand vitra eames (boardroom) chair for i think 700€. Best chair ever.
For my studio (same room as my workdesk) i use a piano bench. (50€)

I recently moved to a much bigger space and have a dedicated studio instead of sharing it with my home office. My home office has a Herman Miller Embody. Had it for 10 years now. Still as good as new. I got my daughter a new desk/chair when we moved in here and I took her old one from ikea in the studio:

1 Like

How long can you sit on it?

Looks hard on the lumbar back

It’s incredibly uncomfortable. I sit on the edge mostly and use my own muscles to sit up right. I just liked the image of the dirt cheap pink ikea w my p10

1 Like

I’m currently using a completely useless generic office chair - my back has really been at me over the last couple of weeks, not sure if the chair is entirely to blame but it’s definitely not helping

I was going to get one of the ikea chairs that have been recommended - but can now get a Herman Miller Aeron locally for €360

Should I got for it? I don’t want to wait for a better deal or anything cos I need sort this out as soon as

Yes. The Herman Miller chairs, aeron and embody are amazing and last forever

2 Likes

Thanks for your input! Do you any issues leaning forward and working on your desk for long periods with the Capisco? This is my biggest problem at the moment.

If it’s fully functional then yes, absolutely, go for it.

1 Like

Does everyone take their armrests off their aerons or are you just used to them now?

The armrests are essential for me. My desk isn’t super deep though, so I’m not sat right up against it.

2 Likes

I also love a 70s aesthetic, but don’t mind “futuristic” if it’s in a Dieter Rams mid-Century kind of way.

While this might be out of your budget, I bought the Steelcase Gesture at the start of the pandemic for work-from-home and I love it. I practically live in that chair these days and never have any kind of pain from sitting. Definitely worth the cash for me as it is now my most used piece of furniture between work and making music.

It’s still voted the best chair by New York Times, for a few years running now.

Two of my colleagues have also bought the same one and both love it. It comes in all black as well, which is a bit more subdued, but I like my two-tone one. It sort of reminds me of Kubrick’s 2001 space station.

(I’ve made a few other good upgrades since this photo, most notably a fantastic new keyboard, but haven’t taken any pictures in a while. Don’t mind the dog bed).

Besides a good chair, a good mouse and keyboard make a world of difference as well.

I got this Archiss Maestro2s keyboard this year and I absolutely love it. It’s a joy to even touch, so makes the workday that much better.

I customized it with the custom key caps to match my 70s vibe.

It also matches my new yoga blankets, which have replaced the big dog bed as my dog likes them better, lol. For people with back pain, I can’t recommend yoga enough, especially if you can find a good local studio. Yoga, pull-ups, and jump rope have become my exercises of choice over the last few years.

I think the only thing I’m missing in this room now is good synth. Maybe I should get an MS-20. :thinking:

2 Likes

I had an MS-10 for a while. It was awesome. The 20 looks deeper, but from the demos I’ve heard, it has the same brutal, screaming filter tone. It’s not really “analog warmth”, more a “jet afterburner”. I reckon you should get one.

1 Like

No worries. I haven’t had any issues with leaning forward in it for longer sessions. As you might have already seen, you can also sit backwards in the chair. That way the backrest supports your body when leaning forward.

I just got a new chair and sit/stand desk for my office/studio space and given that I have to work here 8+ hr a day, having a more comfortable chair really is making a huge difference in how much I want to be in this space after work hours. I didn’t realize how much of my reluctance to spend time in DAW came down to just being burnt out on sitting.

I ended up getting a refurbished Steelcase Leap V2 chair, and the lumbar support is like magic on back pain :sun_behind_small_cloud:

1 Like

I had a big chair amazing, pro, for 50euros

Really really good chair

So …