Logic OT workflow

Curious if anyone is using Logic to record their OT and what their work flow is, outside of doin all your mixing in the OT and sending out 2 channels. I’m guessing, if you do want the stems from the OT in Logic it’s a tedious process of just going track by track and maybe just embracing some OT tracks sharing a track on Logic.

Also I can get Logic to send clock, transport controls and program changes to the OT no problem. I can’t however get Logic to record the midi notes from the OT. Not a deal breaker, but curious if anyone has achieved that.

Also wondering if Live is any better for this than Logic. I don’t want to learn Live unless someone tells me it’s the best integration tool for the OT or I will magically lose 15 pounds once I’ve mastered it.

I know there have been conversations on the forum about this, they seem dated and there tends to be more confusion around the subject than clear answers. Feel free to merge with any of them that feel more appropriate.

Also, are we 1000% sure that the USB port in the MK2 will always and forever just be for data transfer and it doesn’t have the bones for an eventual surprise Overbridge for OT announcement somewhere over the rainbow? I mean, the midi out of the AR blew everyones minds, maybe they got this up their sleeve?

Yes

2 Likes

Stealing my dreams!

You can still dream, it’s just that it won’t happen, ever ! … edit : can’t happen

2 Likes

This is why I still have a dream, that’s from 2014, MK1. I’m wondering if they snuck something into the MK2.

Forget this dream, there is a similar official post for the Mk2, there really is not going to be OB for any current OT. Concentrating on your topic would be the best plan

2 Likes

You can use a midi interface to record midi from the ot,
you can record 2 stereo channels into a daw from master and cue.

Cool, I haven’t figure out the midi recipe between logic and the OT to get Logic to receive the midi notes, do you know what it is? Honestly it’s more of a curiosity than anything I need to implement right now, haha

U would have to buy a midi interface that goes from midi to USB.

Got a micro express. As I mentioned I can sync time code and program change from logic which is great. It syncs perfectly no latency.

I just can’t figure out how to have logic record the midi notes from the OT. It’s not a big deal. It’s more my ocd.

So it’s no problem.

• Logic: create external midi track. Set to midi port and channel
  • OT: midi track 1 go to FUNC+SRC [NOTE] select midi channel to transmit on and PRESS DOWN on encoder to complete selection.
  • OT: FUNC+ up arrow [TRIG MODE], then down arrow to switch to chromatic mode

And yer good. (Use midi cable)

I knew you could, but had to test to be sure. hooked mine up to test cuz I tend to recall things poorly.

sorry for choppy vid. I cut out all the fumbling. hard to record with phone and do stuff. :confused: sloppy shit

3 Likes

Same applies to an already recorded sequence

…it’s the same with all daws…

u got two output pairs…and 8 tracks…and slaved to a master clock, the ot does a solid job…
so, depending on the material u want to create or remangle in the ot, u can always find a way to record all that magic with not more than 5 takes…
timing relevant parts, like bumm tschaks and shuffled stuff u better record in one rush, if ur picky with timing…as the takt prooves pretty well, many signals don’t need to be stereo at all…in fact that’s much of the punch a signal has…mono mids in first place…

go for that workflow…for now…because 'til ot mk3, which will talk ob for sure, comes along, it will take another while…
never forget how old the original ot concept is…and be happy what a timeless piece of gear that is…

1 Like

Wow, thank you. So mix in the OT, no need for all my fancy and distracting UAD, soundtoys and waves plugs. Scary, but liberating and maybe I’ll have some finished tracks as I imagine there is some value in capturing a performance as opposed to tweaking for ever on something.

In the interest of complicating things and clearly showing my lack of midi knowledge could one conceivably assign individual tracks to individual midi channels? I don’t even know what good it would do now that I think about it, but now I’m just curious.

ya you set the channel per track. you just have to enable them.

Does anyone use the Cue outs and pan to do 4 simultaneous audio outs?

I’ve read that yes…people have done that