Locking the sweet spot

Hello ppl!

I filled all steps of my MDUW with chord sample trigs and locked the FLTF LFO in HOLD mode, speed 24 at desirable depth and let the pattern endlessly loop.

About 10 minutes after i realised that LFO was heavily rotating along the chord trigs producing some really nice variations…in overall 10 minutes loop half of the time i wanted to just lock that spots and let them continue forever BUT the LFO was moving forward…until the next nice spot and so on…

Could somebody please explain me how to locate and control this movement in order to reproduce it whenever i want?

It sucks to wait just to record those parts without being able to control them freely

thanks!

The difficulty in reproducing a sweet spot of variations like that is that by setting the LFO to HOLD it means you’re effectively sample-and-holding the state of a free-running LFO on each trig, and if you’re using a mix of two waveforms especially, and/or an LFO rate that isn’t an exact division relating to the number of sequencer steps, the state of the LFO when it gets trigged it is really hard to anticipate. On a Monomachine you could restart the LFO with TRIG on the first step and leave it on HOLD for the other steps, which would give you a consistent result across the pattern, repeating on the TRIG step. But on the MD I don’t believe you can p-lock the UPDTE parameter so there might not be a simple solution… :hm:

2 Likes

hit REC on your recorder…then CUT :slight_smile:

then import back and play it thru eternity

Stopping myself from being stupid…
I strongly suggest you though to record these “jams”-----> some sweet spots on a machine like MD can be tough to have again to happen…
I remember those “beautiful noises” happening when reloading Kit after heavy tweaks…I tried to train myself in replicating the same “moves” but no one time I got the same sounds in the between…
So I started to record every time I was going to have some serious fun with the MD

2 Likes

Regarding your answer i experience same nirvanas in A4!
So i set up the first trig in LFO TRIG-mode and as soon as i find the nice spot i turn the track LFO on HOLD???

hehe i m doing that right now but the problem is that if i am using MD’s effects the slice point has reverb tails delays whatever and gets confused on the process of the re-assembly afterwards…but its ok for sometimes also

Hm, no… TRIG will reset the LFO shape to its starting position. So if you set the track LFO to HOLD and p-lock the first step to TRIG you will get the same results on every repeat of the pattern. But It will always start at the same value. You can maybe use a static LFO trick from a second LFO applied to the LFO that’s on the filter to modify the initial value of that filter LFO. I don’t have an A4 so not sure how the LFOs work there.

Alternatively, you could see if by changing the intensity / rate / shape of the LFO, plus the track filter value etc you can get a nice repeating pattern.

2 Likes

Thanks! i practiced some above adjustments and i m starting to control at some level the LFO movement in MD much better than before, but i have one more question!

How the parameter locks in a sound parameter controlled by an LFO affect the LFO phase?
The LFO continues as normal or it gets disrupted from that locks? For example i have in my track 2 locks in FLTF but it seems that it doesnt get affected

I tried to find a part in the manual explaining above question but couldnt find it

The sound parameter value is the starting value which is then modified (plus or minus) by the LFO that’s applied to it. If you p-lock the sound parameter you’re changing the value before the LFO is applied. So it will change the result. The LFO doesn’t eliminate or disregard the p-lock. If you have an LFO operating on the pitch of a sound, and you p-lock the pitch an octave lower, it will still be an octave lower on that step than it would have been without the p-lock.

P-locks that are not applied to an LFO parameter will not affect the LFO.

The only exception I can think of is if in the course of p-locking a step you also add a trig, in which case the LFO would be restarted (if it is set to TRIG).

2 Likes