Liven Mega Synthesis

Is it an emulation? Not a problem, I guess. Other 2612 emulations sound pretty freakin good. Just kind of a shame that hardware can’t have the hardware, anymore. Guess the chips are getting pretty rare now?

Edit: Also, Megaman 2 backgrounds for an FM demo?

1 Like

I noticed MM too! :sweat_smile: There are also snippets inspired by Super Metroid (which i recently played again after so many years: fantastic game)!

Maybe I’m subconsciously fighting the urge to add another synth to my collection but I feel this one doesn’t have the grit and noise that the Sega Genesis chip had.
To be fair, I own the MegaFM and that thing hits all the targets for me but I also own RYM2612 by Inphonik and although I do like using that, it also doesn’t have that grit to it.
Either way, it does look pretty fun.

4 Likes

I bought the MegaFM based on your demo as well as your presets.

What are your thoughts on mk2?

1 Like

Just had an emotional trip to the recycling centre as I clear out the attic.

Goodbye Atari STFM 520, goodbye JS-30

I’m reminded of the awe as a preteen geek gamer, hearing the ‘ultra realistic’ electric guitar, violin and brass game chiptunes.

4 Likes

Those are both quite sought after! Bit of a shame to see them go to e-waste.

5 Likes

:hushed:

:heavy_plus_sign:

Hopefully the e-waste center also does some resale…

2 Likes

JV1080 also gone, but it wasn’t working

Vinyl collection up for the carload tomorrow … :sob:

I’ve also thrown out all the boxes for every piece of gear I have. Sort of an admission that I’m not really going to sell any of it, which is a positive …

3 Likes

Why not sell it as a joblot? At least then it goes to use rather than potentially probably landfill.

JV-1080 not working still probably worth £100 to someone, JS-30 worth at least £100, ST at least £100.

None of these things are being made anymore, so the spares are sought after. Unfortunately most recycling centres don’t deal with this stuff in the best way.

The other option might be charity/thrift stores or donate give free on Facebook, if you don’t want the hassle of selling the records.

I’m not trying to be condescending BTW, I get it that sometimes you just need the space etc.

7 Likes

Do you mean the MEGAfm MKII? To be honest, I have not tried it, yet. Only the MKI, which I like a lot.

Totally get you, and it kills me not to be able to take a more careful approach.

I’ve more valuable stuff: FS1R, JD990 with all the cards, VSynth XT, Fantom rack with all the cards, and a curve list of other stuff that I’ll take a slower approach with this year …

The other thing is I never realised how many Vinyl/CDs/Cassettes I had in the attic … I think probably only the vinyl has a use/value. But it is a humbling experience to be dumping your life’s music passion legacy into a landfill … though it has just been sitting in an attic. Like super rare DJ Shadow/Bukem cassette mixes from the cover of a magazine … or personal minidisc recordings of BBC Radio 1 live mixes … Lack of Love live etc

It is so hard not to be a hoarder!

This is great. A cheap chiptune machine with multi track and probability and sound locks, etc… Amazing. I’ve ordered one.

2 Likes

I think once UK stockists have them I’ll take the plunge, have 8bit, XFM and LoFi12 which are all tons of fun, so I think I’ll enjoy the Mega, I tried the Texture Lab but didn’t really like it (meh granular) so one out one in :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Definitely tempting. Works out at around 420AUD to preorder from JP. Not sure if the price would be any better if any AU stockists get them.

I wonder if the other Liven’s prices have fluctuated there. May not go on sale for a little while because it’s new but I’ll bet it’ll be in stock locally soon.

How is the build quality of the Sonicware series?

Mr. Florian hits on the build quality at the beginning and a little in the end here on his video for the XFM.

I agree with him the XFM and Bass&Beats that I had in the past felt pretty lightweight and plasticy.
I actually had to loosen the screws around the body a little on the XFM because when it arrived the top surface showed stress in the plastic where the screws went into the posts. Like divots in the plastic. But that was just the XFM. The B&B was fine.

I’m hoping the plastic quality is improved some, but I expect the Mega Synthesis to feel the same since the Livens all seem to be using the same mold. Makes a lot of sense from a production efficiency standpoint.

Knobs are the same feeling plastic, but the encoders moved fine and had a comfortable resistance.

The keys get the job done. No velocity and not much travel. I do like how much of what would be menu pages are right there under the keys via the shift button. Makes working on a Liven pretty breezy even though the display is a simple LED.

2 Likes

Thank you very much. It’s the type of quality that I was expecting. Cheap. But, for that price, it’s ok I guess…

1 Like

Yeah build quality doesn’t feel heavy/solid, kind of like ABS material that some toys are made from, however it does feel quite sturdy and doesn’t flex or get dinged up easily, no rubber coating so no sticky goo to contend with later either. I think the buttons are quite responsive probably silicon dome variety with a reasonable firm action.

Overall aside from feeling lightweight (especially without batteries inside) and the hard plastic knobs I think they are fine.

3 Likes

I need to work at a waste centre on weekends, oh boy.

4 Likes