Live trig recording on multiple midi tracks at the same time?

I’m exploring using the OT as a basic midi looper and I’ve just hit a wall with something I took for granted: I always thought that if live recording mode was on, receiving notes from multiple midi channel would record on their associated midi tracks. But it seems like it will only record to the currently active track regardless?

Setup:

• T1 (midi ch1)
  • T2 (midi ch2)

I’m using two external midi keyboard to input notes on either channel.

With live record activated, ch1 will only record if in midi mode on OT + T1 selected and so on.
If I’m on any other midi track, or back to audio mode, nothing will record.

Am I right on this? Or did I misunderstood something?

Yes, the OT can live record only on the active MIDI track.

The only Elektron device I’m aware of which let you live record “melodies” (different notes) on multiple tracks is the Analog Four (when LIVE REC ON TRACK CHANNEL is activated).

(updated to be more precise - thx to @sezare56’s comment below)

2 Likes

Precision : it’s possible to record multiple tracks with OT audio tracks (Trigs 9-16, notes C2-G2, not sure with notes C5-C7).

Also possible with DT audio tracks, triggering 0-7 notes, AR with 0-11 notes, MD…

2 Likes

Monomachine also records on multiple tracks. Very nice. Send it midi to two channels and it will record on both the tracks assigned those channels.

1 Like

That’s a bummer, I also took that from granted doing it on the AR live recording playing multiple tracks with the trig buttons. Oh well, thanks all for confirming!

1 Like

Well, yes. You can record sample triggers on multiple audio tracks. At least for drums, that’s very useful.

2 Likes

That’s how I record my drums. Unfortunately it can’t be possible by Midi.

1 Like

For completion: Recording on multiple midi tracks simultaneously also works fine on the Digitone.

1 Like

Has anyone tried this with the rk002? Will try later on but just in case anyone has already

1 Like

Yes, possible to record notes on 8 track, even slices in Slice mode (FOLLOW TM, MAP TRACK).
I did it here with a 64 slices Rhodes sample.

1 Like

Thanks man, will this also apply while live recording into midi tracks?

No.

1 Like