Live-streaming and recording with the Roland SP404 MkII

Don’t mind Re5et, as we’ve learned from my ‘Before making music’ thread - he’s probably just feeling a little salty from life and needs to unplug and ‘touch grass’ as the children say today.

As for what you are trying to accomplish, you’ve got 90% of what you need.

Apple brand lightning port USB dongle for the phone (yes, buy the more expensive apple brand) with bigger one with charging port so your phone can stay charged while filming.

You’ll want OBS on your Mac - may as well uTube some ‘OBS for beginners’ videos as this will be the hardest part to learn, but it’s not overly difficult. Will just take a couple hours of study then same amount of trial and error.

As stated above, all your music audio will go thru the SP as an audio interface, no need for anything else.

The two biggest concerns will be your audio if you choose to speak about the process, and lighting the SP correctly/aiming the phone/camera properly as an overhead shot if that’s what you have in mind.

iOS app for filming I would suggest Filmic

Start with the OBS videos, (your smartphone can be wireless into OBS with a free app/web host)

I’m off to work but will happily help in the following days/weeks.

I’ve done some music uTubing. It’s fun.

Edit - you can certainly not use OBS, and just record then edit and edit, but OBS will help in the long run as you do livestreams, want multi camera (phone and tablet) shots, record onto your Mac instead of the phone then transferring etc.

4 Likes

Thank you for such a helpful reply and warm welcome. Yes, there was a little saltiness in the air…

I’m most likely to livestream either or both through YouTube and Instagram Live. The recordings would be the same. I’m a meditation teacher, as well as an ambient musician, and I’m working on an ambient project to share live meditative ambient, to punctuate people’s time spent on Instagram in particular, to invite them to pause, and rest with me a while. Hence the questions. Also on my Patreon and Bandcamp.

I’m entirely new to any form of live, so it’s an entirely new adventure for me, hence the questions.

I’ll look up what OBS is. :smiley:

It’s great I don’t need to buy an audio interface, at least yet, as I will eventually need one for other stuff, but the one I’m looking at, with two way iOS connectability is expensive as the SP404 Mk2. My SP404Mk2 hasn’t arrived yet, so I’m just trying to ensure I have what I need to get started on this new project, as I will no doubt be eager to get out of the blocks.

I have Filmic, so that’s another win. I have the Apple Lightning to USB dongle too (the more basic of the two, not the CCK one, so no charge through option). So I may need to upgrade to the charge through option, as audio and video really drain the battery.

I’m more thinking of a relaxed environmental shot, with me quietly chilling in a chair, playing the SP404 MkII in my lap, and also maybe occasionally calling on Koala on my iPhone and iPad (another idea I’m yet to explore in combo with the SP404, so again, hence the connections questions). But first the SP404. I have a slightly older iPhone that will still happily record good enough quality for my purposes at this time, and runs Filmic happily, that is set aside for this task.

Thanks again for your input, have a great weekend, work permitting.

1 Like

For that type of shot you’ll most likely be looking for a wireless lav mic (don’t need the expensive Rode option yet) hooked to phone/computer.

There are a couple free/pay iOS options for streaming as well (lookup Capture and can’t remember the other good one but it should be recommended when you search capture. It’s called ‘studio’ something or ‘something’ studio - again I’ll be more helpful in upcoming posts)

You can get up and running quickly I’m sure of it. I’m excited for you! Also have a good weekend. My weekends are Tuesday afternoons thru Wednesday and Thursday.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your input. I shall take my time to read through all of this, and take it in. The iConnectivity Audio 4C is the audio interface I am saving up for, specifically because of the iOS compatibility with two-way audio. I might need to get a cheaper option sooner, until I can afford this model, which I am certain is the right audio interface for me. I’ve been looking at the Arturia MiniFuse 2.

AUM I have, and am pretty familiar with, and used to use it a lot. Mostly I sketch stuff out on iOS now, and work on my laptop when at home, so I’m experienced with it, but perhaps not a power user. Yes, the info you share about AUM as a mixing desk/patch bay makes sense, thank you.

I’m mostly creating, recording and editing my samples on my laptop, but I also do create some sounds on my iOS devices, as that’s where the sounds I need reside.

What is the USB adaptor you’re referring to for connecting the SP404 to the iPad/iPhone? Do you mean the Apple CCK?

I use Ableton Live 11 Intro and BitWig Studio 5 (beta) on my laptop, but have never gelled with any DAW on the iPad, so tend to turn to GarageBand on there. NanoStudio is lovely, but the lack of audio options is an issue for me. I also love any DAW that I can use on my phone as well as my iPad (I use Ableton Note on iPad and iPhone and love that I can port stuff easily into Live 11 on my Mac, via Ableton Cloud).

Thanks again, you’ve been so helpful, have a great day!

Thank you so much for dropping by again to reply. :slight_smile:

I’ll check out some of those iOS options you mentioned.

I don’t have a wireless lav mic, but I do have a wired one, that has served me well (in terms of mic audio, I may occasionally interject with some meditative spoken word, or a line of Zen poetry).

Thanks for your enthusiasm and encouragement!

@ando There is a perfect thread here on Elektronauts for asking questions/help for the SP-404 MKII.

Next time, search first before opening a new thread.

As long as the cord is long, guessing the computer will be nearby you/behind ets so that’s perfect!

1 Like

Yes, it’s long.

Thanks Peter, I did. I always do that. But what I was looking for didn’t show up. Nor did the post you refer to. And frankly, just reading the excerpt you pasted above, I would not understand at all.

I love how often people are happy to point out the obvious, thank you, have a great day. May you gain in cheery spirit.

If it did’t show up there, you can still ask your MKII related questions in that topic. It keeps this forum clean.

I see your thread is being flagged, so @avantronica will look into it.

I think a new thread was warranted. I could see these types of long responses about video making causing the Sp404mk2 thread to become unclean.

In fact, I believe strongly that it would dirty up my precious SP thread. Also, I believe people should be encouraged to make new threads if they wish. Attitudes that the forum somehow needs to be ‘kept clean’ probably gate keeps others into not posting what could be good topics. If anything, this might be best moved to ‘general’ topic.

The users and their engagement will decide if a thread is worthy of cluttering up the forum space. If it’s unworthy or doesn’t get replied to, it goes inactive and gets buried. I see nothing wrong with it. I appreciate the perspective that it shouldn’t have been a separate thread, and hope others will appreciate mine that it should be.

1 Like

Sorry my fault. The device I’m using is named differently:

There might be even an USB-C adapter, but I didn’t check. You need to check the USB interfaces you have and want to use and apply the correct cables. The USB-A/B/C types are only important to know for the mechanical connection to fit to each other. Inside there might be Type-1/2/3, which is data speed related - more or less. USB is downward compatible.

The adapter I’m using is typically conncected at the Lightning side to the iPad, an USB cable is connecting between the Camera Adapter and the PC directly or the iConnect (which has the same USB connector as the adapter). Additionally the Lightning port of the Camera Adapter is conncected to the charging device …

1 Like

Thank you for your input here, I really appreciate it, and agree with much of what you say here. As someone new to Elektronauts (I joined but never posted for some time, as I took a year out due to cancer), and now am daring to ask questions, and seek answers in other threads.

Thanks for this. I don’t have an interface yet, as I’ve been waiting to be able to get the one I want, but this project is pushing the situation for me to need to hack some solution together, even if I can’t afford that particular interface yet.

I’m enjoying learning, and appreciating everyone’s input. I have some of the cables and adaptors, and will buy what I can that is missing.

…live steaming is final level when it comes to broadast urself…

i suggest, u start with creating content, that’s not taking place in realtime…so, in result, u got the option to edit things after recording and then upload it…

if ur concept is, u talking while treating any gear, i’d say, first u need the right camera angle…
if u got one perspective only, it should be some topview, down on ur hands and the surface of ur gear…so, any mobile phone and a flexible threepod/stand will do…

any audio interface that offers at least 3 inputs…stereo in for ur gear, mono in for a mic…
roll the camera, roll ur daw, clap ur hands once in frame, so u can link/sync ur picture and ur sound later on in the edit…do what u wanna do…stop recording and see what u got…

drop the video content in any video edit software, load the audio recording also, line them up, mute the video sound, only use ur voiceover and the stereorecording fromm ur daw from now on, cut all to perfect length, edit/create some intro and then playout ur whole video edit doc file as one little mov…THEN upload that to the platform of ur liking…

“live on air” hussle makes only sense, if u got some following already and really sorted out all level gainstaging properly while still be able to talk in realtime without to many errr’s and uhm’s…especially in these times of way too many options and next new bargains per second…
this planet has already so much bad online content, especially live streamed bits, u’d be good adviced to make a difference instead of joining the quick and dirty take away content mob…

1 Like

Thanks for your input.

Maybe I should clarify. Certainly, this isn’t for live-streaming for a wide audience, but for a specific audience, initially in closed groups, via Zoom, and private Instagram and maybe private Facebook too. I’m not sure if that’ possible with YouTube live, I’m not sure if you can have an unlisted livestream.

People viewing the live-stream would be my clients, attending retreats, or paying members of a private, closed group, such as my patrons, and those attending Zoom online retreat spaces with me.

One example, is that I host a silent sitting space on Zoom, twice on Sundays. For 15 minutes, to allow time for people to arrive and settle down, I play ambient music. I would like this to be live sometimes, to take advantage of working with the simplicity of sitting just with the SP404MkII for company. Hence the framing of my questions.

I’m not at this stage, looking for high budget presentation, nor to grow a YouTube channel, nor Instagram. I’m not doing this for views. I’m doing this to reach out to people through my work, or to add content to my retreats and other online sessions. Those joining live would be my already with me, not me trying to be some new attraction viewing magnet. :smiley:

Also, again, for context. This would previously have been offered in person, live, at retreats and events I’ve hosted. But due to the consequences of cancer and chemotherapy, my retreats and events have to remain online, until at least 2024, when I hope to be in a position to return to offer in person events again.

…i see…well, then u need to know first, on which platform u’d like to proceed…

if “live” stands more for peer to peer/face to face realtime, each platform has it’s own little options to do so…utube standard would be the software obs while stuff like zoom is already setted up for xactly such purpose…

either way, a good computer and a “good” audio interface is must have…the camera thing has of course an open end in quality/investment, but nevertheless, in ur case, u’ll need some dedicated external real time usb feed option, if u don’t wanna use ur computers internal fixed view one…

Thanks. I already use Zoom for most of my online meet-ups, but for my Patreons, am exploring the YouTube live option, which I’ve used off Patreon in the past, quite some years ago now.

MacBook Pro has the “good computer” part covered. I have no audio interface yet, as I wanted to ensure I bought one that met my changing needs. It’s good I waited, as I was expecting to be only operating in person at retreats and events again by now.

I have also considered, simply using the built in camera on my Mac. As you can see, there’s quite a journey for me to move into this further, but I’m totally up for it, and driven by my work scenario as a retreat facilitator and guide, meditation guide, and poet.

Although for the original SP404, I’m finding this video from Yukes to be really helpful:

And this one:

Yukes has also already been really helpful in answering some of my questions, and engaging about this approach to content.

For info, I had already come across these videos before coming to this forum to ask my more detailed questions.

1 Like

Thanks again for this input. I’m new to posting here, and I think it auto selected the location for the post, as I for sure didn’t choose it myself.

After fishing around in the controls options, I’ve found that I can change the location for this thread to General, so I’m moving it to there, I hope, if it goes right. Fingers crossed…