Live Set: Dub Techno / Tech House

Hey everyone,

After I’ve been playing live hybrid (Ableton + hardware Synths) for some time, I’m trying with hardware only now. My setup is MD/UW, AR, A4 and Blofeld Desktop. On the Machinedrum I’ve got some 808 and 909 samples loaded and recorded some Sub Phatty bass, Diva, Blofeld and field recordings uploaded to AR. The audio routing is Blofeld -> Machinedrum -> A4 -> AR. On that way I can use the AR compressor for all machines. Four tracks on the Machinedrum are sequencing Blofeld in multi mode, each on an individual midi port. Apart from some hick ups Blofeld has in multimode (initial playback interrupts on multimode usage) everything interacts really well with each other.

After playing a lot of years on a laptop with Ableton and Push, I do now enjoy playing this setup as a welcome alternative. My only concern for now is the missing ability of EQing per track (especially adjusting the low end), which I try to compensate with setting filters carefully and applying some compression. I uploaded 30 min. (8 tracks) arranged and played with mutes, filters and effects live: https://soundcloud.com/dennisbrandenburg/elementary-live-set-part-1

I appreciate any feedback on what you like and what can be made better and how. I hope you enjoy. Have a relaxing weekend everyone :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I really like the dubby vibes, great sound design work. If I had to find something to improve, it’d be the transition automations maybe, but really it’s just to balance out my otherwise too positive feedback :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback @tobee
You mean designing the sounds especially drums a bit snappier with lfos an envs?

Not only the drums, no, in fact I’m quite incapable of saying what techniques you used to create your sounds. I meant the general quality of synth patches, drums and the overall mix, it doesn’t sound amateur at all, so thumbs up :wink: CP and CH sounds especially are spot on

:sunglasses: very cool :sunglasses:

really enjoying the set. i’m a sucker for dub techno :slight_smile: but it sounds great on my headphones at work.

Thank you all for your nice words.

@tobee
For some reason I was reading transients instead of transitions :smile: I absolutely agree and am thinking all the time about getting an Octatrack to have the ability to work out transitions with stereo sample capabilities (which would be easier for me to play). Am not so sure about this decision yet, because I also want a good reverb, another powerful synth, a compressor, new monitors,… (you know) :slight_smile:

But before getting to by more I think I’ll work out some transitions with the current boxes effects, LFOs and performance mode capabilities. Good feedback. Thanks!

I’m a sucker for dub techno here as well, and almost anything with the name dub in it, so I had to give this a listen. :relaxed: Very impressive. In fact, I don’t really have anything to criticize much. Maybe I would suggest boosting bass a bit - but could just be my opinion and listening environment of course. Just wanted to chime in and say I enjoyed it, and thanks for sharing. I love the waldorf sound on top of other analog sounds, such a nice contrast.

Some more Dub Techno recorded while jamming on Friday. This time Analog Four and Analog Rytm only https://soundcloud.com/dennisbrandenburg/up-on-friday-live

Have a nice, relaxing Sunday :slight_smile:

1 Like

Really good dub techno Brandx! My preferred genre when I’m running/working out/etc, and you’re nailing it.

After taking some quite minutes I came up with some dubby Ambient played live with Blofeld and A4. A peaceful piece of music :slight_smile: https://soundcloud.com/dennisbrandenburg/natural-scape-1
Have a good week start everyone…

2 Likes

lovely ambient work here, and i’d missed ‘up on friday’ till now. great vibes all around!

nice work, super clean production… I’m enjoying :slight_smile:

Fantastic deep and rich ambient work here on your latest track. Your production is top notch. Always a pleasure. Keep going!