Live sampling problem:Click noise on Slice

Hi there,

It is probably discussed on the new or old forum…however I only found this.
“Octatrack Zero crossing issue”
http://elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=28&id=166206&catid=9&func=fb_pdf

I have a problem with live sampling, when it slice, it has a click noise on it always. Of course, I have changed setting on recorder setting, fade in and out, with 0.063 both.
it is little bit reduced if I make slices again on Slice menu, but during live set it is bit bored.

Watching this session by Dataline, it seems no problem at all with live sampling and slicing. And I can’t see that he is Slicing again on slice menu.

How do you resolve this problem?

I would like to do with live sampling therefore editing start and end point is not solution!

You could change the attack of the sample…

that should clear a bit of “tick” in most cases.

It also depends a bit on what you sample… when i sample my monomachine playing beatperfect notes, i get a lot less ticks and clicks, then if i sample a very chaotic mixture of whatever"

I wish i could make my OT do the same trick as on my mc909…
where you can apply a fade-in and fade-out on EVERY chop. with a length of 1!! sample.
but alaas, that is not something you can do.

THX for reply.

yeah tried bit of attack change but also not resolved completely.
I’m recording Drums from MD and Synth bass from sh101 via CV converter, controlled by OT midi.

Dataline’s video seems he recorded Volca bass line with slide. so it means it is going between beat and beat I guess…fmmmm

I would do pre slice with 8 step, i.e. 1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15 and change each start.

I can’t sleep until this is solved!

Do you have loop enabled?
I sample & slice my MD on a daily basis & never get clicks.
However, in the past I have encountered it when trying to loop say a short pad sample.
Even at zero crossings I’d get it & it really p***ed me off. Never had it with Renoise or even the old Akai’s.

If I play an isolated/solo sliced something… i get clicks and pops or clean samples.
depends a bit on what it is… I got it less with straightforward beats / synthlines.
so i have to tinker with that…

but… if i add some unsliced beats… 95% of those clicks are unhearable…
I bet that dataline is really good at what he does, and he uses multiple techniques at the same time…

U could ask him to be sure… but its likely he mixed in stuff that wasnt sliced
I wouldnt be suprised if he says:
well I covered some with a layer of samples. and i used the filter to take away some lowend for the pops and or highend for the clicks (or the reverse… whatever) some stuff came from thru-machine which i sampled and just retriggered… other stuff is sliced and recorded straight…
Anyways, ask him :slight_smile: (or hope he joins this thread)
enjoy your day…

Yes I think loop is enabled.
So, you mean loop function makes click?
Now I get clicks even if I sample from MD beats, which should not be…
I remember in the beginning I haven’t had so much clicks…

Yeah I asked him on Youtube comment, but not sure yet that I got answer…

And your sure the levels are all correct?? if i take a too hot signal.
thinks start to fizzle and crackle and all kinda weird things 2…

I think it is a not issue for this case…
Anyway, is it difficult to get “Best” rec level isn’t it?
I know that orange is best and green is too week, but red is too much. best point on between red and orange…

Yes, i agree, getting best recording level isnt as easy as pie. Thats why i suggested it.
And i think your correct. if you keep it orange, but not red
(red = clipping, visible in waveform) you should get “the hottest recording” as far
as i can gather…
And thats about it… I think i typed all possible things that I know of, which might help you not get clicks.

the last one, is within the audio-editor… when you slice (select the zero-crossing option)
it looks for a zero-crossing in the BEGINNING of the slice… not the end. so you could
alter the end-point of the slice, and giving that a zero-crossing-end…
Though I dont see anybody do that in a live situation :slight_smile:

Actually, I disabled loop function and used bit of attack function, like as 3-10, then clip is almost gone.

Yes also I found some click on the end of slice, however as I said what I wanted to do is live sampling, therefore have no time to editing so much…unfortunately.

It is right, that prepared sample is configured at “Home” before live set…but for live sampling it is a big problem and I think that is one of big advantage on OT, indeed.