Live recording each track to buffer (poor man's OB?)

Since I like to use multiple patterns for tracks as a composition, enjoy doing my primary mixing in the box, and like being in control of every track, I thought it might be cool to try recording each track into individual buffers for each pattern, to be saved and then pulled off the CF card and placed by pattern sequentially in a DAW.

Since the OT has 508 seconds and 339 seconds of recording time for 16 and 24 bits respectively, assuming that all flex tracks are clear, that comes out to 63.5 and 42.375 seconds (ahem, respectively) per track. If you wrote a track in a project loaded with flex samples, make a new project and copy it (or the whole bank) there. Assuming the flex samples for your track aren’t minutes long, you should still have a fair amount of time to work with.

It’s not ideal for tracks that are long evolving movements, but I’m sure a compromise could be met.

2 Likes

Well, this only works out if you use the OT as kind of plain old sample player (not actively use the recorders for all the neat tricks the OT is famous for).

Yeah, this pigeonholes the use case a bit more, but I usually use a through track for whatever I’m sampling, so the thru track buffer would be used to record the output of the Flex track that’s playing the sample buffer. The synth/whatever is used for a thru track may now be recorded direct out from the OT or through a mixer into the DAW. That way, even if I hand-modulate the synth, it will be reflected in all recordings.

Yeah, the longer I think about it the more convoluted it sounds, but I still have hope and will post results when I try it out!

I mentioned it several times, but apparently without success !

Ideally you’d also use arranger with different patterns or pattern copies, and eventually record crossfader / scenes automation on midi tracks, in live recording mode.
Octatrack Tips & Tricks (OT Tips) - #148 by sezare56

While writing this post I knew for a fact that it was somewhere in here :sweat_smile:

If I search the forum and can’t find my specific question in the title, I make a new thread hoping that it may be useful for someone searching in the future.

Not sure about what you mean but I think this subject deserves a thread.
Possible to record less tracks, longer time. If you have an external midi linear sequencer such MPC you can record automation.

I’d like to experiment this with my MPC 500.

Oh we are on the same page, i worded it weirdly.

What you mentioned reminded me of this
Nifty trick. Not sure why I never tried it actually!

1 Like

Just yesterday I decided to hook up my Octatrack to Ableton and see where that got me. I’m using Ableton as a recorder and arranger only.

When experimenting with the Octatrack, the thing that trips me up most often is recording the results. I’ve set up a permanent flex on T8 for grabbing anything I like, but then I have to save it, name it, and load it into another slot for playback.

In the end, I’m finding it easier to just let Ableton sit there, ready to grab audio.

I also have it set up so I can easily send a clip back out to he Octatrack, resample it, and do Octatrack-y things to it.

I know this doesn’t solve the OP’s need to multitrack their whole song to WAVs, but I’ve found that the computer that’s always on the desk next to my Octatrack does a better job of recording than the Octatrack, and leaves it free to do what it does best.

2 Likes

I just started doing this too, but with Bitwig. It makes a lot of sense. For example, if I just need to clean up the bottom end of a track, rather than add another filter in a precious FX slot or set up a neighbour track, it’s easier to record into the DAW, do whatever is needed and send it back to OT all cleaned up. Then I can put it on a fresh track with two FX of my choosing. I think by doing this, I can get to the stage where everything sounds great in the OT and can be mixed there ready for a stereo master when the track is done. The other option is to resample within the OT. I’m still experimenting with workflow to see what I’m most happy with.

1 Like