Live MIDI pad drumming - Digitakt

Sure this works ?
I’d say you would play a major scale on the selected track.

I don’t have a Digitakt so I can’t verify personally, but the DT manual (8.4 “MIDI Notes”) says:

Of the 128 notes in the standard MIDI range, Note numbers 0–7 correspond to notes C0 through to G0, the leftmost octave (which is sometimes called C-2–G-2 in certain applications). These notes will trigger the Sound of track 1 through track 8, respectively (provided they are set to their default channels 1-8). These notes values map to each of the eight tracks, regardless of which track is active.

The first eight notes would not comprise a major scale, anyway. :pl:

3 Likes

The manual (page 12) for the Nord Drum 3P says that it can respond to assigned MIDI notes for each of its six sound channels. It seems likely, but it needs an owner to confirm, that it can assign MIDI notes to be transmitted in response to its pads.

I use a KMI Boppad, it works pretty well with sticks (IMO! I’m no drummer :slight_smile: ). You do need a USB MIDI host for it, though.

Recently got the ND 3p so not very familiar with it yet (grain of salt), just did a quick test, seems like ND is not sending midi channel/pad (could be something Im missing). However it’s possible as mentioned above to play DT channels using the Global channel from ND to the auto channel on DT and use notes 0-7.

1 Like

So let’s see if I get it ,
You can trigger the DT channels with the ND only using the Global channel on the ND which means it can:
“assign MIDI notes to be transmitted in response to its pads “ ? As PeterHanes wrote .
However , it does not send MIDI in separate channels ?

Again, quite new to MIDI setups so hoping I’m not just mixing the terms up…

(BTW you guys are really awesome for taking the time to answer :slight_smile:)

That seems to be confirmed by @Epoxy.

That would have to be confirmed by an owner, but in any case this capability would not be required for your stated use case in your original post.

You’re right , I was just trying to figure out if that’s what @Epoxy meant by saying:

Probably will pull the trigger on purchasing the ND now as it seems to be a good option for this purpose.

Given that Im not super versed in midi and only just got my ND:
I can set a global ch on ND, then assign each pad with one of the note numbers 0-7 which corelates to ch 1-8 on DT. So yes you can trigger individual samples on DT using ND this way. The other option would to set each pad to its own midi channel, which I’ve not been able to do, but that could be me missing something.

Side note:
If you are a drummer and have the possibility, I recommend to test as many different pads as possible before buying. My take is that different pads have really different velocity response and feel, besides their features.
Personally I like the ND 3p very much, but if you are planning to use the pad as drum replacement you migth find that the 6 pads and no hihat ctrl is to limiting.

1 Like

The Digitakt doesn´t support USB MIDI?

And what do you think about this user experience? Do you feel the same?

Yes it does, but it’s not a USB host so you still need a MIDI hub such as MIO4 (or a computer) for every MUDI USB device to talk with each other.

2 Likes

No, mine doesn’t jitter like that, pressure and velocity seem pretty stable and repeatable in my usage. I like it, but I am not a very good drummer so I may not be the best reviewer

Thanks, so I would need a USB MIDI box (powered) and the Boppad, I suppose it will be powered by that USB.

Do you know a USB MIDI host that could help me with more uses than that? Maybe more USB and MIDI ports, etc.

Really, MIO4 would be my choice if I hadn’t an iConnectMIDI4+
4 pairs of MIDI IO + 16 USB ports is a lot :slight_smile:
Plug and play, and then you forget it in its corner.
Needs a USB hub to plug all your MIDI USB hardware.
I even believe you can connect your computer through WiFi.

1 Like

That sounds very good…

1 Like

Super happy mio10 owner here. Iconnectivity stuff is really nice.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Blokas Midihub

I just got a Boppad, and I already bought an iConnectMIDI4+ (was impossible to find a MIO4).

I hope I can try it with the Digitone and the Octatrack (I think with OT won´t be very good due to it´s lack of velocity, but maybe I can match Boppad´s velocity to OT´s Vol or something).