List editor (like Cubase) on Digitone?

Hello,

I have some weird goofiness going on in a sequence, I’m having trouble tracking the issue down using the Trig keys and information on the screen.

My last serious foray into music production was in the '90s, I used Cubase VST 3.7. In it was an event viewer called the List Editor, it provided a sort-of spreadsheet view of every MIDI event generated by the sequencer: notes + velocites, CCs, PCs, etc. You could see and manipulate things numerically, you sometimes caught things in the List Editor that you couldn’t easily see in the main timeline.

Does such a thing exist on the Digitone? From what I can tell, trigs and locks are like MIDI events, I would imagine that there could be a way to view/edit them in a text view on the screen.

Thanks

Nick

In a word no. Event list editors are fairly rare in hardware sequencers these days sadly, aside from trackers or a vintage midi sequencer, the only current hardware sequencers I know of with event list edit are the MPC range, there may be others but not on any Elektron gear.

3 Likes

Is that related to most hardware sequencers being step sequencers, and thus every ‘event’ is directly accessible anyway ?

(Hope that’s a sensible question, my only sequencing experience is the M:S/M:C)

Not really, it is just a different way of showing the data, some older sequencers such as RM1x and RS7000 had both TR style grid and event list, you could switch between views. List view gives a very nice overview of all the data on a step, and is often very fast to edit, for example editing velocity or note length etc.

2 Likes

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

That’s a shame. I bet if the developers ever decided to add one, they could make good use of the OLED screen.

In a nutshell, a List Editor gives you a 50,000 ft view of all the details of all the events of a sequence on a single screen. The way the Digitone displays information, it’s limited to individual steps with some stuff buried inside parameter windows; or it’s limited to a 16-step window.

Looking around elsewhere, I see that the newer MPC series have pretty robust List Editors (jinx darenager).

Thanks,

Nick

Sadly though it isn’t very fluid to use due to no cursor keys for me, the touchscreen is pretty limited for this kind of editing I feel.

1 Like

It’s part of the MPC DNA since the MPC60. It isn’t featured on anything modern that I know of.

Even in DAW’s it is not common afaik. Logic has it and it is extremely handy. On the MPC’s I never used it, though

1 Like

Hi everyone,

For anyone wondering 'what is a List Editor? ', here is an FAQ and a screenshot for Cubase’s List Editor:

List Editor.

Thanks,

Nick