Linking Digitakt to Ableton

Hi!

I’ve recently bought my first piece of hardware (Electron Digitakt) and was wondering if anyone could help me on setting it up with Ableton? So I can record my patterns into a midi channel etc. Thanks!!!

Plug it in via USB- go to midi section of the Preferences screen. I think remote enables control- sync out of if you want it to slave to Ableton, in if you want Ableton to slave to DT. Track?

I just clicked stuff on the ins and outs and it worked yesterday. Then on your instruments select the midi device and the channel set the channel on your DT midi track.

Let me know if this helps(sync should only be on on either the input or output for the DT definitely not both- I know at least that)

1 Like

Thanks for replying, unfortunately I’m still not getting any sound through, might be down to me just being an idiot :smile: I’ve played around with ins and outs but still nothing :frowning:

Is monitoring on? That’s always my issue. What channel have you set up on your midi channel?

Or are you trying to play the sound from the DT in Ableton?

If so:

Configure your audio interface in Ableton. And then on your track in Ableton, select which channels you’re pulling from- the selected tracks should be glowing green levels in their black bars.

If you’re using an iConnectivity interface- that’s going to be a little bit more of a struggle, as I’m not an expert with that.

I’m just trying to get the sound from DT in Ableton, but i’m fairly new to Ableton so this is harder than it should be

What audio interface are you using?

In case you’re trying to do it over USB, that won’t be available till Overbridge is released as far as I know.

Maybe you could plug it in from stereo outs to a 1/8th in out into the line in on your computer(though, I’ve heard that might not be successful from other’s experiences)

Yeah just trying to do it through USB! Would it be best buying an interface??

you can’t do audio over usb (yet).

1 Like

Ahh right, so getting an audio interface would be my next step aha?

It’s been mentioned that Overbridge should be available sometime in December. If you have the option to rent one, that would be a good immediate and cost-effective solution. Especially since, in some way of another, the DT should act as an interface once OB is dropped.

But if you need to record the stuff you’ve made on the DT now, that would be it.

Otherwise, I’d recommend a cheap used Zoom H4/H4N, which is a field recorder that can act as an interface(so that way you’ll also have a field recorder :slight_smile: )

Sorry you’re not(to my knowledge) record-ready. Such is the struggle of technology </3

depends on your immediate needs :slight_smile:
the update will had it working as an interface, but don’t know when that’s coming…

1 Like

I only got the DT 3 days ago for my birthday so I guess I could wait a bit and gain my knowledge on it before adding it into my production aha! So much i need to learn with hardware etc. gotta start somewhere i guess :smiley:

1 Like

Yeh id wait unit they update it so you can get audio over usb. Be a shame to buy audio interface then the update comes out.

1 Like

Happy Birthday!

Maybe Elektron will you(us) Overbridge for Christmas!

Edit: in the meantime, you can use the Midi tracks to Elektron control you’re VSTs/softsynths! And you’re halfway there! :slight_smile:

Thanks man! I’ll try that out now :smiley: :smile: