Line 6 DL4 Mk II

that’s a lotta delay wowww - even a TimeLine off the board!

I agree, and it seems to be the case with every single delay pedal with an included looper… seems like a missed opportunity imho, specially if (if I understand correctly) you can even add delay on top of the loop. It would make it very flexible

I mean… I know they’re prone to failure, but that’s a ridiculous level of redundancy to have on your board, ready to go. unless he just likes cascading them into one-another, because he’s a big fan of destroying his tone…?

2 Likes

:expressionless:

4 Likes

He’s a big fan of using one-shot loops to compose/perform with. He’s like a foot gymnast when he gets going, a bit like Nick Reinhart who is also known for composing/performing with a DL4.

1 Like

I don’t remember. First repair was to just get it working again.

2nd repair was by a popular DL4 modder at the time - forgot if it was drasp or JHV3. Mods included switch upgrade, custom LED lights, expression wheel, paint job, etc. So with the paint job on there I really can’t remember. Worked beautifully with the mods for a while, then one day it refused to power up again.

1 Like

I got my HX Stomp XL connected by USB to the computer. Similar idea I guess. I just fire up Ableton Live when I want to record audio from the HX Stomp - voila, audio file in Ableton ready to edit into sample(s).

I do recall H9 being mentioned on that loopers with MIDI sync thread. Dunno why the OP did not go for it. Then again they had a laundry list of demands - MIDI sync, stereo, write songs for him, master the songs like Bob Clearmountain, walk his dog, do his dishes, etc

Personally I don’t care about the MIDI sync but I notice nobody has presented evidence that this thing’s looper can’t sync to MIDI. I suppose whoever gets it first will test it?

2 Likes

Line6 mention/sell/explain just about every other aspect of its features and they’re not shy (nor lacking detail) about it - that would be a big deal and i’d have expected them to mention this if possible - sadly their documents don’t preclude it, which would have been even more exhaustive

i’m assuming helix or hx users would know if it’s in line6’s wheelhouse to deliver on midi sync’d looping - i’d guess not, but that’s not to say their latest product would lean on new tech if it’s cloning their earliest

otherwise it looks like a tempting offering

my take is that midi stability is the issue and therefore how a manufacturer handles the loop ‘crossover’ points would allow them to wax and wane the length to accommodate clock drift - or crossfade or elasticate etc

having midi sync is good (my original lexicon jamman has it) and it would offer a nice reason to justify a current looper if you have one of the majority without sync

it’s the reason i ended up not getting the ditto x4 (although it has midi ‘sync’) it’s only syncing the first generation of the then set-in-stone loop - if the clock varies thereafter, the loop will drift from sync - it otherwise had a useful feature set for my interests

the new dl4 does look promising and seems quite flexible and it’s of course primarily a delay unit and delay times are synced

2 Likes

Whoa just got the shipping notification from Sweetwater this morning. That was quick!

1 Like

I haven’t looked too deeply into whether the loopers in the Helix family (which includes HX Stomp) can be MIDI synced, but cursory Google search seems to indicate the answer is no. Typical workaround is to trigger looper functions by MIDI CC messages.

This does not necessarily mean, in and of itself, that DL4 MkII looper does not respond to MIDI sync. We have one person state it isn’t there, without any citation, and the rest of us simply took him for his word, which to me is amusing since we live in the era of fake news.

I do recall the designer/engineer of the Loupe pedal stating he didn’t implement MIDI sync in the Loupe because it would require too much time and effort, relative to the pedal’s other functions.

On the rare occasion I would want to loop audio with MIDI sync, I still have my Octatrack. But it’s much more straightforward to me to sample whatever I would have looped, and trigger the sample from an integrated sequencer.

I enjoyed the video.

The comment about destroying tone/tone suck is the sort of thing I saw a lot of when I used to hang out in guitar-oriented forums. I don’t miss those forums. :innocent:

3 Likes

of course, fair enough, however i did scour every page of the manual and watched all available videos - i think it would probably have been mentioned, especially as it would need some explanation if used unwittingly - however, that’s not to say it 100% can’t be in it, nor added, but i’d say it’s very unlikely based on the current info - especially if helix etc don’t offer this either

just my take until an informed/definitive statement is made somewhere

1 Like

I scoured the manual as well, thus my curiosity was raised. Did this person see something in in the manual that I missed? Or he heard it from his bro who heard it from his bro?

I found this on the Line 6 forum - by extension they will probably set up something in IdeaScale for the DL4 MkII:

When another company makes a standalone looper, they have an entire team of engineers and developers devoting 18-24 months to that single product. Helix’s looper was always going to be utilitarian at best because no one can agree on what makes a world-class looper anyway. Look at the Headrush Looperboard—they spent gobs of time, money, and effort developing it, only to have 90% of looper geeks dismiss it outright because it didn’t have the exact workflow and feature set they’re accustomed to. Why would we want to follow them down that rabbit hole?

If you want Helix’s loops to sync to MIDI, visit IdeaScale and hope your request gets voted higher than the hundreds of other features and models that have been requested.

1 Like

the difference is plain as day if you plug a synth into it (I don’t play guitar). this is why mods for it exist.

I had my MkI modded, as previously mentioned.

Obviously by using 4 DL4s, his perception of tone was not in line with the guitarist on the forums that I abandoned. He bought that many, he can do whatever he wants.

Anyway the MkII has multiple bypass modes: DSP bypass, true analog bypass, buffered analog bypass, or dry kill - so this should allay the concerns of most in the tone department.

1 Like

I was only referring to the four mk1 units in the photo, not the mk2. and of course he can do what he wants. never said otherwise.

Yeah, I’m fine with you having an opinion.

I was just observing that he seems to have something in common with me, and that is having little in common with guitar forum members.

awesome, thanks :+1:

Line 6 forum has started a DL4 Mk II FAQ

1 Like

Awesome! Sadly about 10 years too late I feel.
Had two of these on my pedalboard about 15 years ago when I was on a massive Dave Knudson trip.

1 Like