Like Push2, a grid midi controller for playing notes/chords?

Somewhat releated to NEW TO HARDWARE: How To Stay In Key?

One thing I miss from working with Ableton is the Push2 scales mode. But I also miss having a non-keyboard way of playing notes. One friend described push2’s grid as “big fat guitar neck”, which I can see.

Are there any midi controllers out there that are pad grids for playing melody/chords (not launching clips) ideally that include the amazing scale features from push2. In a perfect world they have the one-push-chord magic too? Melodic midi controllers for non-keyboardists?

I doubt this thing exists, but it should, right?

1 Like

Erm, looks like I am talking about the lunchpad X

Push 1?

1 Like

:smiley: (FWIW I have a push2 (which I am about to sell cos I never use it anymore), but it isn’t a midi controller, in that I can’t connect it to my A4 (for example))

2 Likes

Launchpad pro mk3

2 Likes

Thanks! Appreciate the help. I should close the thread, I think the answer I was looking for is Launchpad X.

Specifically a Push like controller for my A4/AR hardware (not Ableton only.) Looks like with a midi host it can do exactly what I need.

1 Like

I use maschine mk3 to control virus and a4, and u can make dope beats with it and feed ot

2 Likes

Launchpad pro mk3 for me too.

Does the X have midi in/out? or is that the one thats only midi over usb?

1 Like

this is the one.
If I would want these features without computer and just as a standalone controller, I would certainly go for the lp pro.

3 Likes

Ah, I get you, this is negates the need for separate external midi host. Bigger and more expensive though…trade offs, trade offs

Thanks for explaining that.

2 Likes

At least compared to the push, it’s really lightweight and small

2 Likes

yeah, its a nice size to be honest. But to be able to use it on anything with midi, at a later date, might make the extra ££ worth it?

This is great, thanks. I might try and at least look at/get my hands on each IRL to make a choice, but not requiring a midi host is a strong plus.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Perhaps Erae Touch.

1 Like

Although I do have to have Ableton running, I use my Push 2 as my main MIDI controller for all of my hardware synths, including A4. I have a default template that has MIDI tracks for each hardware device. That’s about all I use Ableton for unless I’m intentionally recording something or working intentionally in the box. I never need to use my mouse/keyboard/screen for jamming aside from just starting up Ableton with this setup.

Just something to consider before you sell!

1 Like

I actually had that set up working when I first got bits of hardware, but have found myself more and more avoiding the laptop. Maybe I don’t realy want a controller, I just need to get better at playing the A4’s tiny wee keyboard. I’m trying to keep my setup as simple as possible.

1 Like