LFO Ramp Shape : Examples?

Hey guys !

Do you have examples of using the lfo in ‘ramp’ shape.

I try to find a musical utility to this form, but except for the rises, I find no other use to this one.

Not sure which Elektron you’re using, but on the Octatrack I will use it in ONE or HALF mode to modulate the amount of Reverb MIX on a sustained sound so that it gets all 'verbed out as it plays. Or you can use it to control the DEPTH of modulation on the Flanger/Phaser FX blocks.
Another obvious one is to use it to control the AMOUNT of an LFO controlling pitch, so you get a vibrato effect fading in.
Really anything where you want some effect to fade in in as the sound plays, it’s perfect. I almost never use it not in ONE or HALF mode because if you want a repeating ramp, you can just use the SAW LFO shape.

1 Like

You can also use a ramp in ONE mode with negative amount applied to volume as a kind of sidechain compression effect on a track by using trigless trigs to retrigger the LFO, and parameter locking the depth so that it’s ducking the track as much as you want.
This is also one of the few ways to get a sound to fade in on the Machinedrum.

1 Like

There’s a bit of a thread on LFO shapes here which touches on the point i’d have made here …

Ramp LFO is monopolar, so the modulation is all positive or all negative, it’s not +ve then -ve, like a saw/sin etc … monopolar is useful in a number of situations, but one is described in that thread

It won’t be so useful on all devices, but for the analog boxes where you can adjust phase it’s handy to use a combination of the modulation depth with the HLD setting and then varying phase … you can get a static offset of a known (fine) amount … you can do this with a quarter of the phase of a saw with no phase

the other thing is setting the cycle mode to HLF then the modulation is ramped up and held at max, so you can get a fade in

The OT e.g. doesn’t do negative speeds (which reverses the shape on the analogs), so the A4/R can set up a repeating Attack/Decay style envelope which also has breathing space between blips, quite a musical modulation shape (set phase to 180 (64) for this one below, speed -32 e.g mult to taste)

|\ _|\ _|\ _|\ _

2 Likes

Thank you everybody for the details. Have a nice day !

2 Likes