Lfo poly issue?

Hey

Is anyone else getting an issue that the lfos sweep out of time on poly mode?

The lfos are set to free run yet they go out of phase.

Link is a simple saw with an lfo set to amp volume.

https://soundcloud.com/mickeyziggyk/a4-lfo-poly-issue

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere

assuming they are set to same time, iā€™d expect theyā€™d be out of phase to begin with if free ! they start ā€˜runningā€™ at boot, try syncing them all with trig sync, then switch to free !

Hi Avantronica

I tried and retried that already but no dice unfortunately (should have said so when I posted).

Hmmm, Iā€™m out of ideas of how to sync up the lfos in poly mode.

I donā€™t know how other people feel about this, if it happens on other peopleā€™s units, but for me it is a bug.

could you explain what you are expecting and doing and say why it is a bug, iā€™ll give it a try, but need to know what u are aiming to do, is it to just have the 4 voices play with a common synchronous lfo - irrespective of when u hit the keys ? - that might be quite an ask - but whatā€™s the issue exactly ?

did u try it as the first thing after a boot up, to see if the lfos at least start (if they even do this) at the same time ?!

when i try it with 4 voices set to the same lfo speed, turn the device off/on, the 4 voices play synchronously wrt the LFO - i have poly on four tracks and using track sounds - not sure if thatā€™s what youā€™re after, but if you vary the speed of one and bring it back to same value, you will loose phase - it is Free after all !!

That is exactly what I am after, synced lfos for all four voices.
I am doing this on lfo2.

I have tested a few scenarios.

You are correct, if at boot time all 4 tracks have the same lfo speed and multiplier then they oscillate in sync (no osc trig required). This is a bit of a bummer as the 4 trac lfo2s have to be the on the same speed and multiplier at power off time and during the session.

For a session I can change the speed and multiplier as I like and it remains in sync on track 1 (the one I am playing).

However if I change an lfo speed or multiplier on another track during the session then track 1ā€™s lfo2 will go out of sync.

I think that sums it up.

1 Like

so maybe not fair to say itā€™s a bug as the lfos are free - maybe we (ie you :wink: ) could ask for an inbuilt resync all LFOs option when a kit is reloaded e.g. ?

1 Like

Hey

Not to split hairs, but I would still call it a bug, as all the track lfo2s must be the same speed and multiplier (if lfo2 on the active track is desired to be in sync).

Consequently you cannot have totally different sounds available loaded on each track, as the lfos have to be the same speed and multiplier.

Anyhoo, thanks, Iā€™ll contact Elektron about it.

why is it a bug ? its a freerunning LFO ^^

when its freerunning its freerunning like in not synced

as they have the same frequency, technically you could match them by ear if you play around with the starting phases

1 Like

i sorta get your point - iā€™ve explained why it is the way it is - if you donā€™t check use track sounds - you may well expect all settings to be polyā€™d - all the settings are, so you wouldnā€™t need to worry about lfo speed in that case - but the phase of the free lfos may well be out and thereā€™s currently no way to resync them, itā€™s not a bug imo (itā€™s an analog device), more an oversight that now has some significance when you factor in poly - so itā€™s a good observation worth flagging to them - iā€™d be up for a resync lfos command, even a manual one for creative fun

alternatively they might consider a toggle in the Poly settings that forces this when you steal another tracks voice to instantly align it with the master one !

1 Like

Hi

My assumption: Poly mode = poly synth. If this assumption is flawed then my issue is a feature request and not a bug.

But, poly synths have lfos synced for all voices from the ones I have played.

Maybe Elektron thought this feature was already implemented and so a bug?

It just depends on what you expect from poly mode, and to me I assumed that the A4 is a synth with a complete polyphonic feature set.

Yup it all depends on what elektron weā€™re trying to achieve. Anyway back to tuneage.

itā€™s so fully featured it has modes that are not possible in other poly synths - free running lfos for one - itā€™s a bit of an oversight for a new case discussed above

you can have a fully featured poly synth on your terms if you retrig the envelopes at key down !!

donā€™t forget those other poly synths most probably donā€™t operate as independent voices too

itā€™s semantics anyway, Elektron will do what they will irrespective, give them a shout and let us know here what they think ā€¦

Hi

Update:
Got a reply from Elektron a few hours ago, and they are looking into it.

2 Likes

Itā€™s the same issue people have with the DSI polysynths. Most common poly implementations hide the fact, that a polyphonic program on traditional polysynths or typical software implementations have a monophonic LFO. Or to put it in other words: hardware like e.g. the Juno 60 has one LFO for six voices. In the DSI synths and on the A4 this is different, as each playing voice could belong to any currently active program on a track.

I guess internally the A4 sets each voice subroutine to the settings of the poly voice. From this point and with dynamic voice allocations itā€™s very hard to determine at which phase the LFO of a currently triggered voice should be set. The phase needs to be ā€œsavedā€ somewhere, or the code has to be rewritten, so that the LFOā€™s phase can be calculated from a single source LFO. Depending on how the voice handling is structured in the A4 this could be quite a difficult issue to solve.

1 Like

Interesting, I wonā€™t be getting a dsi then.

I just hope it gets sorted as it diminishes the poly 80s keyboard king experience.

Was this an issue on the prophet, cs80 and other polysynths of that era?

+1

I was looking for the same thing, hope Elektron can find a way to get the LFOs in sync across the voices.

Just worked it out. Make a setting called ā€˜poly keyboard kingā€™ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: and as soon as it is engaged all 4 voices are controlled by the lfos from the track the user is using at that time; even if it engages a ā€˜hard stopā€™ on other tracks.

1 Like

I deal with it on the MD by having a pattern with trig LFOs in place of the freerun LFOs, triggered on each track on the same step all at the same speed. Then switch to the pattern with the kit assigned that has the freerun LFOs already set to the same speed. Maybe it doesnā€™t work on the A4.

1 Like

Just realized that there is no mono lfo mode ā€¦:cry:
The vibrato option (in the osc menu) is unfortunately not very useful when using the synth in poly mode because instead of getting a nice vibrato you are getting a mess , out of tuneā€¦
I will ask Elektron .