LFO into audio range as a hardware effect

In this video, around the 1:30 mark, an LFO (or is this an arp with the step range going up exponentially?) takes the 3rd MicroFreak into audible range as an FX wash and/or build up.

Essentially - this is one of the last bits of my setup I’m missing. I’d love a great sounding unit that I can either send white noise through (or a synth tone similar to the above video) and use as a riser/FX wash to make live drops a bit more energetic. The unit would be completely dedicated to this function and wouldn’t need to be used for anything else.

While I don’t necessarily want to buy a full synth to simply allocate to this function, I’d like to hear everyone’s thoughts on how to do these types of FX live (aside from standard DJ/Pioneer effects units which I’d like to avoid if possible). I like the idea of handling the FX live rather than dropping in a generic riser sample, if that makes sense.

Some of the hardware I’ve thought about for this but unsure if it can handle it:

Microgranny
KP3+
Monotron Delay
White noise -> Delay pedal style step

Again, just looking for something small & knobby that will allow me to hit this type of sound. Especially awesome if I could run different noise/samples through it to alter the type of build-up sound from track to track. Anything that fits this within the <$250 range?

To get an idea of my current setup, it is as follows:

Ableton as DAW/Mixer clocking the following:

Push
Machinedrum
MIDIGal
Expressive E Touche
Shruthi SVF Filter
Shruthi 4-Pole Filter
Ambika SMR4 Filter x6
Streichfett (Soon to become VC340)
Minitaur
Monotron Delay (was trying to use this but it’s too noisey)

Any suggestions? I have free lanes in the Machinedrum if it’d be best handled there, however I don’t believe the LFO goes into that audible range that I’m looking for?

1 Like

Bueller? Or is this a dumb enough question to leave unanswered?

I suppose I’ll just stick to doing this through Ableton/VSTs

Go modular or gtfo! In all seriousness you can do this with most synths pretty well, guess it really depends on how much you want to spend and how many features you want. Why not just go with the microfreak? They are pretty cheap and you obviously like the sound, plus I’m sure you’ll discover the many other non riser reasons to love it and use in your studio setup as a bonus.

2 Likes

Maybe there’s some tremolo pedals that can go into audio rate?
Alternatively, these older Boss pedals are very nice to mod, there’s schematics widely available and the older simper ones conveniently are through-hole soldered.

1 Like

we made a tremolo pedal for a while that’s actually just modular LFOs and VCAs in a pedal box. It goes into audio rate, and I bet you can score one for under $250 used. Since its an FX processer, you can run just about anything in and out of it!

2 Likes

The uFreak was definitely on my radar, I was just hoping for a small fx unit that could handle this for a relatively cheap price (<$250).

Gotta cure my Analog Heat GAS first :frowning:

This is awesome Aen, I’ll look into finding one. I’m very happy to support Dwarfcraft & your endeavors.

Purchased a used Twin Stags yesterday at your recommendation Aen.

I’ll let you know how it goes - thank you for helping create such unique & experimental pedals to help push the limits.

Cheers

Oh wow! I’m glad it appealed to you! I still use mine a lot, but I think it was a little much for most of the guitar crowd.

korg monologue, goes waaay up there, its all crunchy too, saw, tri and squ

Received it yesterday but just got the chance to sit down with it tonight. I definitely need to use some white noise or something to send through it but just to make sure it was working, I sent a sine wave through it tonight. Sounds awesome! Just need to practice with it alongside switching scenes on my hardware/Ableton.

I’ll try to get a video together but for now, here’s this crappy live jam!

BANGIN! Glad to hear it :slight_smile: