LFO/arp/mod sources for amp trance gate effect in MnM?

Hey there, I wondered what sources can be used to modulate the amplitude to make a trance gate-type effect in the Monomachine? Obviously there’ll be an LFO to modulate the amp, but basic, single bar repeating sin/triangle/square etc. LFO shapes usually aren’t enough to modulate the amp volume on/off in such a way as to get a trance gate pattern; therefore I wondered if say either: the arp can be used to modulate the amp; if the LFO can get more complex than a single pattern; if you can use the input of say a drum beat in one channel to modulate the amp of another; or if there was just a more detailed modulation matrix which can also be used to easily make more complex arp modulation patterns?

This vid of the Serum vst gives a good quick run down of the type of effect:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxeGJeibApc

Thanks

this could be done also with the arpeggiator only, by deactivating every second trig of the arp.
X0X0X pattern.

1 Like

So you’re confirming that the arp on the MnM can be used as a gate for the amplitude/volume setting?..

i mean this arp pattern

1 Like

Yeah I understand that, but it didn’t directly answer my question: can that arp pattern then be used as a gate for the amplitude/volume setting for a patch/channel in the MnM?..

the arp offers three modes which you can activate/deactivate. AMP, FILTER, and LFO. you reach these functions with the cursor buttons. but maybe you know about it already.123

2 Likes

The arp modes MDMnM mentioned can be used in different ways to achieve the gating.

• With AMP on, you can just retrigger the amplitude envelope for each arp step. So this lets you achieve “triangular” gate shapes, where you control the shape and speed of the gate using the attack/decay controls as normal.
  • You can also use FLT in a very similar way to AMP if you want to just trigger the filter envelope.
  • With LFO on, you can set, say, a HALF square wave LFO applied to VOL to do the gating. But you’ll probably need to turn down VOL for the effect to be useful. As you probably guessed, this achieves more “rectangular” gate shapes, and you’d set the speed of the gating using the LFO speed. This will let you use the amplitude and filter envelopes independently of the gating, so for example with the existing envelopes you can have a volume or filter sweep independent of the gating, so that the gated sequence can fade in and out.
  • You can, of course, combine these.
4 Likes