Let's see some old pictures of your early gear

The title pretty much sums it up. I found a couple of folders containing old phone pics I’d backed up. Rather than a start to finish montage they were taken as an aide memoir so a lot are just close ups of PCB’s and parts! Some like the MG1 were taken as a reference before I started any work so don’t blame me for the state of them! :smile:

I’ll stick a few up and lets see if they jog any memories :blush:

Share your old gear pictures below …

14 Likes

During surgery. Ably assisted by my old pal.

7 Likes

Re-Shelled ESQ1 before and after

5 Likes

This is the oldest stuff on my phone, maybe 2014?

2 Likes

Okay - gonna give this retro pics party a laugh with an oldy … yes, that’s a tie, it was the 80s
… sadly i was blinking (or could’ve been just hiding from the fact that there was an audience completely in shock at my improvised Frippertronics lite )

Things of note, there’s a tiny diy oscillator on top of the effects ‘rack’ - it only has a pitch knob, it allowed me to feed a signal into the Boss RSD-10 to double its ‘loop’ length to 4s with tolerable/desirable grain level (the pitch input was for the sampling part of the delay unit) - it would be a few years before i grabbed a Digitech Time Machine 7.6 and expanded Lexicon JamMan.

Also delighted to have bought and paid up for that beautiful japanese Ibanez Artist semi with my school paper-round job, my first proper guitar after a Kay SG copy and a Squier Strat. Still got the guitar, sadly not played nearly enough, sadder still the hair wasn’t so long lasting :tongue:

Wanna see those retro gear shots but especially any embarrassing old playing shots y’all might be tempted to hold back on … 20thCentury FTW

Ah nostalgia, I miss those days - everything was simpler … sadly not too many gear pictures - this is a quick picture of a print I was showing my son recently - might try to find a few others from the analogue archive

28 Likes

Haha you took your modular to the bed :smile:

1 Like

My setups from around 2005.

Top Photo: Nord Modular G1 Keyboard, Nord Micro Modular, Roland Alpha Juno (under the Nords), Korg MS2000, a bunch of guitar stuff.

Bottom Photo: PowerMac G4 running Digital Performer, PowerMac G3 running Korg Oasys PCI, Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro (wish I still had this one), Kurzweil K2000R v3, Yamaha TX802, Yamaha TG55, Alpha Juno, Ensoniq ESQ1, Nord G1 Keys, Akai MPC2000XL, Korg MS2000.

19 Likes

still rocking my own G1 Keys and MicroModular … got a G3 and G4 mac kicking around in the loft too :thup: extra points for that hockney style collage !!

4 Likes

From 2008 :smiley:
Sold it unfortunately.

3 Likes

.Heres an old set up with a heavy emphasis on divide down tech :smile:

Bang in the middle is the Godwin String Concert, complete with rusty front panel. Its been everywhere with me, toured, loaned, recorded. One of the first keyboards I bought along with the Crumar Trilogy further up the page. It had a load of dead keys and I paid £30 for it. IMO its the best of all the '70’s stringers. VCA per key, Treble/Bass EQ, 3 mixable footages and best of all the BBD modulator. Two controls, one for Vibrato and one for for Chorus. They interact beautifully for a haunting clean sound with slower, more subtle modulation rather than the wobbly chorus of the Elka Rhapsody for example. Plus they’re depth controls rather than all on or all off.

12 Likes

This was my set up for a long time.

16 Likes

We didn’t have no automatic panoramas like these kids today! And those were taken with an actual camera, because phones didn’t come with those yet.

I sold my Micro to fund a G2 engine, which I thankfully still have. The G1 key I had to sell, I just couldn’t keep up with getting the software working anymore.

3 Likes

Reason 2.5

18 Likes

80s Polaroid picture
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv6v6vFFDQZ

8 Likes

Fond memories… ahhhhhh

2 Likes

First setup. Picked some good stuff but didn’t have much clue what I was doing. Still got the MPC though.

7 Likes

Ironically my first sampler was an Akai S20 and I’ve just bought and MPC Live Retro. Loving it.

Edit. I got the S1000 around the same time. Then an S1100 too

1 Like

18485696_1024429474357848_6242878135213863038_n

24 Likes

Nice!! Sums the thread up well :+1:

Landline!

2 Likes