Les diffYUseurs -- Effects Emulator

Les%20diffYUser
Yves Usson, contributor to the design of the Arturia Minibrute, has been working on this effects box for a couple years. Most of the time i would ignore a little thing like this, but this truly has a wonderful sound. It is a digital box, but you’d never know it, because the sound is so old and organic, emulating the Ondes Martenot’s loudspeakers (diffuseurs see below). It appears that this might become a product somehow, although Yves has been doing this as a hobby and he says elsewhere that “he doesn’t intend to turn this (electronic making) into a boring business.”

It doesn’t seem to have much in the way of controllable modulation, no midi in that i see, or CV plug-ins. Again it’s meant to recreate the sound of the speakers for the Ondes Martenot, so that seems appropriate. I suppose there are other ways to get these sounds, but there also seems to be some magic in this box. Oh and it appears too to be stereo.

Here’s a bunch of listenable links ranked perhaps, most interesting to least. By the way there is nothing about it (that i can find) at the YUsynth.net site.

CS80 wiith the DiffYUseur
Theremin played by Coralie Ehinger and Betty Boop and the DiffYUseur
An Ondes Martenot recreation with the DiffYUseur
From a Minibrute 2 with the DiffYUseur (Part 1)
From a Minibrute 2 with the DiffYUseur (Part 2)

Also a nice link from Synthtopia.

The original Ondes Diffuseurs:

3 Likes

I see that Yves Usson plans to have this available sometime in mid-2019.

Also i learned that this is based on the Spin Semiconductor FV-1 DSP Development System, which you can buy. The FV-1 includes the !stereo! audio input and output and interface to the controls you see on the diffYUseur – complete in hardware, so you only have to write the software you’d want yourself. The code is in assembly language, but it’s that DSP sort of assembly language that includes high level mathematical operations, next to conditional jump instructions.

2 Likes

These are now available for pre-order btw. Got one for my Ondomo!

2 Likes

1 Like

Got mine today :]

1 Like