LaunchControl XL + Raspberry Pi + Octatrack

Update: the “app/device” is coming along. A small video is available here.

I’m building a app in node for Raspberry Pi that lets me use Octatrack together with a LaunchControlXL.

Mainly I’m thinking of being able to set level, pan, mute, solo for each track. Any thoughts what else is nice to be able to tinker with?

2 Likes

If you can rig the code to do it- I’d say the secondary menus would be cool- FX selection LFO destination might be cool

That would be nice.
Sadly one cannot change those with midi.

But I’m starting to think that maybe Record-Arm could be something nice to use with Pick-ups.

1 Like

Try out the Launch Control XL template Neil Baldwin made. It’s rather excellent!
https://www.elektronauts.com/files/424

1 Like

That is rather interesting. How does that work with knobs?

If I have one all the way to the left then change track and turn it all the way to the right.
When I then go back to the original track and turn the knob, will it go all the way up?

I was thinking of adding a pick-up strategy equal to what Ableton have, i.e. you need to turn back your knob to the position where you left it off to be able to pick it up and continue.

Something like this?

Similar yes. But different in the pick-up-where-knob-left things.

1 Like

Let me know if you’re open sourcing this, would be nice to check it out.

what sucks for me about the LCXL is that the buttons don’t light up or show any feedback when used with a MIDI-USB host… they’re just off (cheap controllers like the NanoKontrol work just fine)
maybe there’s a way to do program this with Raspberry Pi…? I know there’s some kind of developer mode for the XL where you can dive into the led status and all that

It will all be available over here.

Right now I only mess around with colours of a couple of leds when you move any fader or knob.

1 Like

One thing I completely forgot was that the Octatrack does not talk midi over usb. So the solution becomes a bit bulkier with a usb-midi device connected to it.

Small update with video in first post.

sorry but I don’t get it.

is it enough to get a USB MIDI host like Kenton or Mode Machines Cerebel USB to connect to octatrack or do I need also a raspberry to run LaunchControl XL?

eDiT:
maybe right now: the raspberry is only for the MIDI information for the knob/slider position :blush:

Yeah you are correct. I needed it to remember the positions of things. I’ve sold my octatrack since then.