Laughing Animal - Death Trip EP

My new EP ‘Death Trip’ is now available on Spotify, iTunes, Bandcamp, Amazon, and other online retailers! All other Laughing Animal releases are available as well.

This one isn’t as Elektron-heavy as my previous releases, but uses the Analog Rytm for drums, some Monomachine bits, and field recordings manipulated with the Octatrack.

I hope you enjoy this release should you choose to listen :slight_smile:

8 Likes

This EP is sounding excellent! Great job, brother!

1 Like

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Definitely not the type of tune I’d listen to, but I had to listen to the whole track because it’s so well produced, it excited my curiosity. Very good job, thanks for sharing ! If not Elektron, what instruments did you use ? Care to share details in the treatment you did on the vocals ?

1 Like

Hey, thank you!

I’m assuming you mean the last track on the EP, Something Baby (which I realized is set to play first on bandcamp, changed that)… funny thing is, songs like that and Speed of Light (also from that EP) aren’t what I listen to either, but sometimes a tune just comes into my head fully formed, and I try to record it.

Something Baby utilized my new Babyface Pro (title unrelated) by recording the Analog Rytm and Octatrack stereo outputs separately. AR does the drums, OT plays back some phrases sampled from a JU-06 (the melody that fades out the track) and OP-1 (intro/the more percussive bell-ish melodies), and also plays back a sample of the track which comes before it on the EP, You Felt It Too (Something Baby is a re-worked indie/pop version of it).

That gets recorded into Logic, then I added bass (p-bass), guitar (telecaster), and my vocals. P-bass and Tele get run through a Tech 21 Sansamp Liverpool amp modelling pedal, then into a FMR RNLA compressor and Analog Heat (clean boost) before going into the interface.

For vocals I use my MJE Hulk 990 condenser mic (modded MXL 990) into an Art Tube MP Studio, into FMR RNLA, into Analog Heat, then to the interface. Oh and reverb comes from Oto Bam, but I don’t remember where in the chain I placed it, probably between RNLA and AH.

Then I just mix the levels, bounce @ 24-bit, normalize that, add an adaptive limiter, and bounce again at 16-bit. I don’t do any processing of individual tracks ITB anymore, except for some light de-essing I did on Speed of Light after a friend suggested I do so. I think I can do de-essing using the AH’s envelope follower and “band stop” filter mode though :smiley:

Anyway, thanks for listening!

1 Like