Landscape / Noon, a passive analogue drum/synthesiser

Perfect combo for the bad sounds coming out my OT :rofl:

(half) Joking aside,ā€¦ I really like the sounds coming out of this and there is no make-up here. No reverb, delay, compressor or ā€¦ I would prefer more demoā€™s to be without even the slightest effect on them. Because yeah, because.

2 Likes

This into OTā€¦?! The horrorā€¦ :joy:

1 Like

Perfect, the Azzam Bells Crown and Lyra-8 on the other inputs and itā€™s hell on earth. :ghost:

3 Likes

Yeah, that was my reaction, too. Looks great, but the examples handily killed any interest I might have had in it.

1 Like

That being said, I will for sure pass on it if itā€™s priced over half a Pulsar23, ā€¦ but I will go and try the thing out live in a shop and evaluate. I will do this more often, just stop buying online and go to Schneiders or Patch Point here in Berlin and just get hands-on and social again. Like the good old days.

Damn, the wine is doing what it does bestā€¦ :santa: :rofl:

8 Likes

Remember to ask for consent.

1 Like

It looks interesting to me to try with the Erae Touch set up as a percussion controller. My Zendrums are triggers-only, which looks like it wouldnā€™t be able to do much, but you can control the gate length with the Erae.

ADDED: Wait, is it CV-only, or can it receive MIDI in? MIDI-to-CV would add a layer I donā€™t think Iā€™d want to bother with.

1 Like

Midi is digital and seeing as this is a passive instrument, midi is most certainly not present.

3 Likes

Iā€™m still a complete newbie to the world of CV, never dipped a toe in the Eurorack waters but the Pulsar-23 is teaching me a lot about what can be done with CV. I even bought my first set of modular patch cables the other day so I could route audio from my Monotron Delay and a Volca Kick through the Pulsar-23 distortion, delay and reverb.

Itā€™s because of this new interest in CV that I find this box particularly interesting. :smiley:

3 Likes

Pulsar and Noon would probably be a really cool pairingā€¦ not only for audio stuff but for modulation as Well!

3 Likes

So here is a list of the eight channels with their name and adjectives that describe the action of the circuitry in that channel.

. DOT ā€” knock/tap/flutter/feedback/filter/saw/divide
: DUAL ā€” clicks/pings/liquid/boom/sine/palms/filter
:. SYS ā€” hollow/laser/wood/thud/phased
:: PLAST ā€” stretch/wrap/static/wet/squish
::. CYMPATH ā€” metal/strike/harmonic/scream/crumble
::: CYRINX ā€” avian/atonal/rough/angular
:::. LARYNX ā€” vocal/round/squeal/bubble
:::: BACID ā€” bass/slam/acidic/microtone

I wish there was a more precise description of these circuits and their behaviors, but i guess that would be telling. They seem to be getting more complex one to eight.

You can drive each channel with its own rhythmic CV signal, and then either output them individually or sum them into a single output. ( ADDED : , or split even and odd channels that gets summed to two separate outputs. ) There is interaction between neighboring channels, and you can change aspects of this interaction.

I am not looking at the diverse sound samples provided as stand alone, but as something mixed in, or alternated with other sounds you create, likely with the same rhythmic CV sources you are supplying to the Noon.

To me this is sitting inside a lot of other parts, probably modular Eurorack parts. The Noon may not be expensive by itself but what you put around it will add expense. You need multiple CV sources ( sequenced or generatively created ), each with the ability to actively change gate length. It feels to me that youā€™d want to use the multiple outputs from the Noon ( rather than the built-in summing mixer ) and condition their signals ( like with compression at least ) before running that into a mixer, and combining this behind other more conventionally produced audio.

It does seem though that this could be controlled and played with the right pieces around it.

I donā€™t see the Noon as something you can just drop into a system, and magically get great sounds out the back. Instead it is something that would take time to experience and learn, and then place modular parts around to produce the sorts of sound you desire. It is a multi-functional electronic circuitry test bed, that allows you to craft many unique electronic CV to audio processors.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not so sure about that.
It dawned on me when using Pulsar-23 that the magic is not found when separating signal to different outputs, itā€™s rather when you let everything mingle and interact with each otherā€¦ to me it feels like Noon follows that same ethos.

4 Likes

Whatever you think is best.

1 Like

Any thoughts on a sequencer/modulation source that would suit the Noon?

Beatstep Pro and Pams are used in the demos.

I see possibiltles and beautiful chaos with various triggers, gates and also random CV sources.

Soma Pulsar23 as @MichaalHell already suggested would pair well.

Koma Komplex maybe? (A new slightly updated batch will be out in 2022, not on the cheaper side of boutique electronic instruments of course). I already have a BSP, I guess another one could do wonders and is not breaking the bank!

What else? A pair of sequencer socks named SQ1?

I prefer random for this instrument for straight drum beats I would just use my TanzbƤr or samples.

The random outputs on Morcom expander for the ALA BenjolinV2 have me also interested.

Of things i own? Iā€™d try teletype, ableton or norns (via crow), cold mac and letā€™s splosh in patches with noon

Iā€™m also reasonably sure it would respond well being combined with no-input mixer if prodded the right way.

Things I donā€™t own? keyed mosstone came to mind 1st

the sound demos seem alot like mroztronium synths like the horndog or grackler, and at times kinda like a rollz 5

so i think noon would probably fit nicely with anything ciat lonbarde makes

4 Likes

Coincidence theyā€™ve been released around the same time? You tell meā€¦:wink:

5 Likes

From the Noon documentation, they emphasize how much affect long and short gate lengths have on the sound. I think this has to do with the unpowered circuitry, either having sufficient current or being partially starved.

It will bear exploration, but sequencers like the Moog 960, and the work alike, can be set up to vary gate length per step with the third row. ( Correct me if i am wrong on that. )

I also believe the TipTop Circadian Rhythms has per step variable gate length.

Maybe itā€™s enough to vary all the gate lengths in a sequence together.

2 Likes

I was already sure long time ago that I would end up in that space, not sure why I keep postponing. Eventually I will be there for a while.

1 Like

This thing is intriguing. I was considering selling my 0-CTRL as Iā€™m likely selling the semi-modular synth Iā€™ve been using it with, but I could see it being very fun in combination with the Noon.

5 Likes

If you would want a straight up drum machine maybe go with some Mutable instruments modules a small case with, Grids, Marbles and Stages would give you alot to work with.

3 Likes