Lack of Individual Outputs or Overbridge on OT

if i will use the daw directly whats the point for this discussion.
I just wanted to understand if I miss anything or if people found some interesting solution for this issue.
any way I really appreciate peoples answers and sharing their views.
I always wonder if Elektron do not wish to add OB to the OT just becuase they need to keep the door open for more products to come. so deliberatly they keep this issue.

I run everything through the OT for live but for recording I offload a few things that I can from going through the OT and send them straight to the DAW for some multitrackingā€¦ Whatever is left in the OT is what only can be done on the OT, and I just get the mix as best as possible in the OT and record the stereo outputā€¦ I find this is a good balance between ease of recording and post flexibilityā€¦

Iā€™m not on a professional level as far as my DAW skills and recording goes, Iā€™m much more of a live player and usually just record my improv jams as a stereo pair. But it seems like a decent sound can be had from this method, maybe even using a little post processing on the OTā€™s entire stereo output, and mixing and post processing everything else around itā€¦

OB for OT means you are involving and controlling it via a Daw.
Why not just save some money and use the Daw for all your sampling and sample manipulation anyway?

1 Like

Because Octatrackā€¦ :wink:

3 Likes

Because mouse and screen!
I wish for OB for OT too but yeah, not gonna happen. This has meant that for recording, I do mostly have to bypass the OT - rendering my most expensive bit of kit as a kind of toy reserved for having fun and not producing music.

1 Like

Surface Pro

1 Like

Exactly my point.
You will be using both with OB

1 Like

A thought to consider is if the absolute highest sound quality available is necessary, or might the benefits of total audio shenanigans make up for maybe not the most perfect mix?

Iā€™d rather hear something super fun and interesting, than something less interesting but with higher fidelityā€¦

5 Likes

Using the Elektron is much quicker and more fun than having to use just the mouse to click in patterns, arps, mangle etc. Surely thatā€™s obvious to an OT user?

I do find a touch interface much more fun than desktop setup, good point!

1 Like

Have you read the thread title?
Itā€™s not an OT VS computer debate.
That poor horse has been flogged to death.
Itā€™s an OT VS OT with OB debate, which in itself would require a computer, and therefore screen and mouse

Yes but as of the OP asking how to multitrack with the OT, ditching it completely and using a computer instead doesnā€™t seem like the best solutionā€¦ :joy:

note the with OTmk2ā€¦

1 Like

Haha yeah I guess :joy:

1 Like

DAW pusher! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:

1 Like

Always just interested in the best tools for the job :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Youā€™ve obviously not got to grips with an Octatrack thenā€¦ :joy::joy:

No, itā€™s all fun and gamesā€¦

Lately Iā€™ve been rockin hybrid and itā€™s awesomeā€¦ I got OT sequencing logic auā€™s, logic midi auā€™s at the same time modulating OTā€™s parameters, including the arp which in turn is playing the logic synthsā€¦
I got the Rytm going through effectrix with like a dozen lfos from OT modulating things as well, and my OT crossfader controls turnado at the same time as it warps the OTs internal tracksā€¦
All juiced up with logic compressors and reverbs and what notā€¦
Good times! :smiley:

5 Likes

Is that all you want?

2 Likes

Not sure if willingly misunderstandingā€¦
Using the octatracks sequencer and UI for live sound manipulation and simply clicking ā€˜recordā€™ in a DAW is quite different to throwing the whole octatrack out the window and trying to create your own in a DAW.
Anyway, this is daft talk as it isnā€™t possible. Just wish it were, along with OP.

What do you know oh great wise one?

1 Like

I know stuff and things about moonbeams and bunny rabbitsā€¦

3 Likes