Korg Volca Mix

I spoke too soon:

3 Likes

Well now. Was just a matter of time I guess. They’re gonna sell a butt-ton of these.

Love the mixer. Like how they ignored everyone who considered the speakers redundant and actually put in 2 this time - on top haha! :fu: :fu: Now I can mic them easily plus sound won’t die into the duvet

1 Like

Yep the speakers are handy for me too, without them I doubt I’d be interested, as for mucking about on the sofa it means 1 less device to hear what I’m doing, I don’t think anyone would consider the speakers for doing a mix but for just hearing whilst composing or faffing about they can be handy, as well as for :microphone: ing up for sound design/sampling etc. Odd that they did not include SD card recording, not a deal breaker but would have added value. Just need to find out if it runs off batteries now…

Someone on another forum said no batteries … i guess the power outs wouldn’t work off batteries. Yes in-built recorder would’ve been nice - maybe they’ll bring out a volca recorder that can also transfer to the Sample…

Shame that midi doesn’t feature

1 Like

Split the topic, mods?

1 Like

Confirmed no batteries in manual http://cdn.korg.com/jp/support/download/files/cda408ce8e1b6b2d18a79cb0c10d0c19.pdf?response-content-disposition=inline%3Bfilename*%3DUTF-8''volca_mix_OM_EFGSCJ1.pdf&response-content-type=application%2Fpdf%3B

A shame, seems like a missed opportunity and I won’t buy one now.

Yes please do, the Prologue is bad, but that Volca thing is ridiculous

1 Like

As is my budget!

3 Likes

Hmm, I do think it fails to hit the mark in a few areas - not enough channels, and no battery power being the main ones, but I daresay they will sell lots of them regardless. The no batteries thing though kind of misses the biggest appeal of the Volca range - portability, take em anywhere, on the bright side it won’t affect sales of my portable mixers too much, although mine are much cheaper, smaller, more channels, simpler and passive.

1 Like

Yes, done. Thanks for the suggestion.

2 Likes

Thanks for the link!

I’m a little bit disappointed…
I did expect at least 6 channels(one for every Volca)! Something that’s a little bit like this: BC5C4E19-8BDA-46A5-AF5F-FF48AA56BE80

It’s called the Volca vixen mixer. A kickstarter project. Ok it has no faders, but i could live with it… and the volcas sound absolutely shit on those inter speakers, not nearly good enough compared to volcas via headphones or good speakers…

1 Like

I backed the KVGear mixer and now I’m glad I did as the Korg offering is a little underwhelming, although the dynamics function might be interesting…

I only have 2xMT and Vsample so mathematically and input wise the Korg is just right but compared to the (more expensive) KV I think the extra functionality gets me further down the street I’m on at the moment…

Shameless self promotion alternative :slight_smile:

Passive mind, but 8 stereo channels, portable, set mix level on volume control of gear.

12 Likes

Wow awesome! That’s a nice alternative!

Thanks! Whilst I’d never try to pass mine off as a direct replacement for the Volca Mix or anything else, it does the job of mixing small devices very well (and nothing else) so for some people might be more suitable. I have sold them for a few years now, to all corners of the world, including to some “famous” people, never had a single one returned or a single complaint. I was the first to offer this specific kind of passive mixer, although in the past few years a few people have copied them, imitation in the sincerest form of flattery though right? :smile:

3 Likes

I’m really impressed! Someone told me once it’s not to hard to make something like this, but your version looks pretty good, and it’s perfect for the volcas and boutiques ect. I already have a cheap Behringer for my Volca setup, otherwise I would buy one on eBay from you! Since this is a passiv Mixer it doesn’t need any power right? Kind of interested about your famous customer :wink:

Yes it is very simple electronically, there are tradeoffs to passive mixers eg level loss, but sound quality is great, you just amplify from the output to make up lost gain.

I can’t name names, but there have been quite a few, most of them are in the techno music scene, a couple from Warp records etc.

Anyhoo, going a bit OT now, mods feel free to move or delete.

2 Likes

No problem! I have lots of respect for people who build and sell there own gear, and i’m sure other electronauts will be glad to have the option to buy one! I might gonna buy one in future, I really like that they are reduced to what I need, they are small but perfect for the volcas! Well done, mate!

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Korg Prologue 8/16 Voice Analog Poly Synth