Korg Volca Drum

It’s like a portable and affordable Nord Drum.

Kinda makes me mad that even this little battery-powered gadget knows what the hell choke groups are.

Sneers at Digitakt

2 Likes

My number one want for the DT.

Well hello there next purchase, nice to see you.
Randomiser? I’m all in!
Randy-miser, I’m so excited :grimacing:

2 Likes

midi out mod for the randomizer if that would work = insta buy

2 Likes

Yeah automated cc/note of the randomiser via the OT would be incredible.
Sample feast

There’s usually someone making MIDI out mods for Volcas as soon as they’re available - I have one for my Volca Bass and it’s really useful, just as an extra sequencer.

Still playing catch-up on the various vids but I got the chance to watch the Cuckoo one this morning. I was kind of the opposite to yourself on watching it - horses for courses and that. Seems much deeper than expected and I think the editing is something I can get on OK with. Totally agree about the resonator but like a master delay it’s not something that needs to be used consistently. It also runs the risk of becoming quite ubiquitous as folk deploy the same tricks again and again… in that respect maybe better as a master send as having 6 individual resonators in the wrong hands is a recipe for mushy soup.

The only bit I’m unsure about is the Wavefold, Drive and Bitcrush that are in the sub-menus. If they are also plockable then that’s even more interesting.

I can feel my resistance to temptation diminishing with regards to this as well as the Modular.

1 Like

Yeah, I fear Korg will be making more money off of me soon - just a matter of time before all 3 new Korgs end up in my house.

I like how he squeezed in a transition featuring the Modular, yet made the whole jam fit within a 3 min. time span.

1 Like

16 pattern/kit memory :-1: :confounded:

Sure, for playing live, I’ll probably have to sample this Volca (and the others in my possession) and use samples to put together a full set.

It’s a shame that Korg doesn’t like the idea of an additional $2.50 in manufacturing costs, and some minimal OS tweaks in exchange for something a bit less pathetic… like the ability to save 64 patterns/kits maybe?

Such a minor tweak would make this exponentially more usefull imo. I really like how this one sounds/looks too… sigh

2 Likes

I don’t know what it would take - I just know that the Volcas are what they are - limited number of slots to save patterns, limited number of steps, etc. - and have never seen a reason to expect anything different in this latest generation.

I guess I just like these cheap little noisemaker things - got two Pocket Operators, 4 Volcas, etc. The POs don’t even have MIDI, haha. I blew my money on much more expensive and capable gear before, but they require too much menu-diving and stuff; not as fun to use.

Yeah, I don’t expect to inspire any great change at Korg with my post. The first Volcas came out over 6 years ago now. Volcas, such as the Volca FM, showed promise with its improved ability to save a relatively luxurious amount of patches (32). I was just foolishly expecting/hoping Moore’s law to bring with it more memory.

It’d be nice to see librarian software come out though for Volca Drum. Cuckoo’s tutorial video makes it pretty clear that other sounds can be synthesized on it other than just drums - it’d be nice to be able to archive presets somewhere instead of just sampling sounds that we discover and like.

That’d be nice. But having to hook it up to a computer every time to do something so trivial really detracts from what really makes these Volcas so attractive in the first place I think.

1 Like

Hmm I realized that while his tutorial was mentioned at least 3 times, nobody actually linked it, lol

Well, I wouldn’t hook it up every time. Just after I’ve come up with at least 4 original presets - then back them up to librarian as a batch.

For me, that would be often lol. I’d easily fill all 16 slots of patterns and kits messing around with it for an hour.

1 Like

indeed, and NO FRICKN BAKUP FFS

To each his own. I like being able to back up my presets - this is not unique to Volca synths