Korg Volca Drum

And cheap stuff = more potential buyers

You may not get filthy rich selling your used Volcas, but I donā€™t think there will be a shortage of potential buyers - itā€™s not like youā€™re going to be donating Volcas (unless you really want to donate - nothing wrong with that!).

When I brought some gear to a local gear swap, the two Volcas I wanted to sell were the first to go.

2 Likes

I agree!! :slightly_smiling_face:

That makes more sense. The ā€˜High Risk gambleā€™ though youā€™ve still left attenuated. If a person is able to afford more expensive equipment it is not a gamble. If a person who cannot afford more expensive equipment buys more expensive equipment they cant afford then that is stupidity not gambling. Iā€™ll leave it at that. Bye now.

1 Like

That makes sense, I gotcha :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah, I sold the Volcas I didnā€™t want for $75 each. Could I have invested more time into haggling to get a few dollars more? Sure, but I just wanted to get them into the hands of peeps who could use them, and get a little something in return.

I know some people consider resale value before buying anything but Iā€™m not one of them. Can I use it to make music or not is my consideration.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve bought all of my Volcas Iā€™ve own to date used, and I sold them all for nearly the same price. Here in Japan at least they lose about 30% of their value but then stay at that price. Basically, if you buy used at a decent price you can get most of your money back if you sell them. The Kick was the exception. I donā€™t think it was that popular initially and it tends to command a higher price on the used market.

2 Likes

Good points, one way I look at it is losing 30% or thereabouts is that it is a bit of a bitter pill, but at least I got to try the thing out, and hiring it would probably have cost about the same or more. Most of the time though I return it in the 30 day refund window, although this isnā€™t always possible/applicable/practical.

1 Like

Guys, do yourself a favour and wait at least until Superbooth 2019. I am feeling it in my urine that Elektron is coming out with something thenā€¦

1 Like

stop playing with your fluids

:diddly:

Iā€™ll drop my interest in the Volca Drum if the new Elektron is also battery powered (without need of external battery pack - Iā€™ve seen that argument before!) and small.

1 Like

Ill drop my interest in the elekteon machine you forsee in your piss if i can remotely afford it

2 Likes

The talk of Microtonic in this thread made me dust off my ten year old license and give Microtonic another go.

Microtonic is dope!

So easy to use. Iā€™ve got it all mapped up in Ableton Push now, and itā€™s hands-on digital drums all day over here.

Now, after years of focusing on individual hardware boxes, I actually know what the hell I am doing, and I am able to dial-in sounds so quickly in Microtonic. Before, it was just a bunch of knobs to me. That was not Microtonicā€™s fault though.

Aside: Years of focusing on hardware has helped me learn what the hell I am doing, and it makes me appreciate software a lot more now. The Elektrons are great teachers that way.

9 Likes

Then you should think about an OP-Z. Small, battery powered, plockable sequencerā€¦

Sorry, its a catch phrase in my native language. A proper english translation might be: i feel it in my Guts?

1 Like

No problem with the phrase i like it! In english sometimes people say ā€˜i feel it in my watersā€™ which i guess could be the same :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ve read the OP-Z thread and even posted on it. Itā€™s a fun little device, but Iā€™d rather get a Volca Drum in the near future, and a price of $120-$150 vs. the OP-Z price is a factor I must admit.

If this new Elektron youā€™re talking about is so great, I might start saving up for it in the future. If it indeed turns out to be a small, battery powered, and does the same stuff as the Volca Drum I might eventually sell the Korg but it would not be an immediate decision.

In retrospect, the saddest part of the DT, for me, is that itā€™s not battery powered.

This looks tempting, but Iā€™m also tempted by an older Electribe ER-1, which can be had for the same price. Different beasts however.

2 Likes