Korg Volca Drum

Thanks for the info (and to @MixedSignals and @ddiamond84) as they seem to have all been picked up on pre-orders in the UK so I’m waiting for them to become available again.

Can you combine using the onboard sequencer for it’s step lengths and probability as mentioned above, but sync’d to the DT and with the DT sending parameter changes via CC?

I’m imagining a whole world of possibilities with that…

Got mine yesterday and had a few hours with it. First impressions are really positive - it’s just what the doctor ordered: bonkers in a good way. You can get quite good bass levels out of it. Editing is a bit of a pain with such small controls (my first Volca) and with some use of func button. Don’t like sequencing with the device itself, but pairing it with Deluge provides immediate satisfaction somewhere around nucleus accumbes.

Loving my Volca Drum. Step length per track for poly meter so good.

Im able to conjure up some really great sounds but have a very hard time entering in useful modulation via the knobs.

Most importantly I tried connecting my Keystep in the hopes that I could play some of these sounds melodically…
that doesnt seem to be working. does the KVD lack this?
looking at the midi implementation chart I see 26, 27, 28 for the CC control of pitch. I dont think the keystep puts out CC from the keys. Ill need something inbetween I assume? pi maybe. or just use a daw?

from a standalone POV the KVD is a Drum and techno Monster has almost all the features I could want other than the strangely simple sequencers korg often goes for. Some of the preset sequences do give the impression of being longer then the sequencers allow. im thinking thats just the probability> which is a great feature. Ratcheting, accent, vol, choke. its pretty good.

2 Likes

Thanks much for this! I am thinking about adding an out jack to mine this weekend.

Does the Volca Drum transmit clock and start/stop? I’m looking to use it as a setup-brain for stripped-down noisy sets.

Sad to report the Volca Drum does not transmit clock or start/stop. Switching between the two midi implementations seems to have no impact on the output in general.

Volca Drum and Digitone: https://youtu.be/mJeZr59kTZw

3 Likes

How’s the noise level on this one? Not a dealbreaker, just curious from a technical perspective.

That is all kinds of excellent. Got a sort of Phoenecia vibe going on in that video. I approve of that whole heartedly!!

How in the world do you do split channel in the Rec+Power On? This manual is the worst. “Consult your local Korg distributor for more information on MIDI implementation.” :man_shrugging:t5:

Func+ON usually gets you into the global settings.

Thx for answering but in global there’s no split channel/single channel toggle.

1 Like

Not a problem, I hoped you were just mixed up but then read the manual after posting (silly billy) then realised. Apologies. I also saw the Midi chart concerning split channel, dubious and enigmatic! I’m going to buy a VD when I get paid so have been researching. My OT is hungry.

2 Likes

Yeah I was showing my friend and he said, “That’s Digitakt Food”.

4 Likes

They don’t make it straightforward, but the dots can be connected between the Single-Channel MIDI Implementation Chart and the Owner’s Manual:

This is an alternate implementation which can be selected by setting a specific MIDI channel.
The factory default implementation, split channels, can be reverted to by deselecting the MIDI channel.

and

Setting the MIDI channel

1. While holding down the REC button, turn the volca drum on.
  2. Step buttons 1 to 16 correspond to the MIDI channels 1 to 16. Press the button that corresponds to the desired channel, and the LED below the step button will light up.
2 Likes

From what i’ve read the VD is relatively simplistic/shallow per voice but Korg have structured this as a groove box that doesn’t need much depth?

Still like that but for (electron) sampling machine owners I’d love to see a volca that is single voice, no sequencer and is just all the goodies korg can imagine as a single voice imagination box.

Ultimately the biggest sure market are people who own gear already and, apart from proper musicians, the market is always looking to make a new sound, be it bass, lead, ambient, percussion, drum …

So I’d like a Volca Voice : loads of tiny knobs, no sequencer, but accepts midi … as a palette of broad scope. A little box you can twiddle to make a core sound on for whatever you like. Essentially a multi talented single voice synth with everything and more that the volca range has so far introduced

1 Like

Ok I tried this last night I get “MID 1—6” on the screen.
If I press say “1” it will say MID ch01" if I press “1” again it goes back to “MID 1—6” but when I hook up the DT I still can’t control individual layers like cc17 cc18 for independent levels.
Just trying to be detailed to see what I’m missing here. Thx!

The Volca you are describing, I would call a Volcalogue, a Volca form factor and simplified Minilouge.

4 Likes

I’m assuming you’ve set the DT’s MIDI Out to the corresponding channel of the V. Drum part you want to control. Outside of that, I can only think of one thing:

There’s a note at the bottom of both MIDI Implementation charts, explaining that all of the CC parameters are only “Received when global parameter MIDI RX ShortMessage is set to ON.”

The default MIDI RX ShortMessage setting is ON, but maybe it got turned off on your unit somehow?

To check it, turn the V. Drum on while holding FUNC, and then press Step 7 to select the MIDI RX ShortMessage parameter. The display will show MST on or MST off.

If it’s off, press Step 7 to change the setting, and then press REC to save the change.

2 Likes

Imma look into it. thx!