Korg Volca Drum

The Karplus is strong with this one.

10 Likes

MicroTonic more Punch/FM it has.

1 Like

I totally get that vibe tooā€¦ and even tho my first gen ER-1 is kicking about in a drawer in the spare room Iā€™m still feeling the urge for this. I think that video has too much of a ā€œjust switched it on for the first time and Iā€™m no sure what Iā€™m doingā€ vibe but thereā€™s enough we snippets of interest to keep me interested and Iā€™ll be sure to keep an eye on his channel for the next wee while.

Yeah, the guy wrote in Japanese that he was just showing the presets since he just got it.

2 Likes

Please just let it be better than the Volca Sample implementation.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, absolutely. That was where I was coming from too but Iā€™m pretty confident that it will be quite the different experience and then with some of the other sound shaping features itā€™s a got a distinct vibe. Anyway, that is shonky justification.

Yeah, again Iā€™m in complete agreement with you here. I think as a whole the Volca range has more depth and clever ideas across it than a lot of people give them credit for. I wouldnā€™t want to only rely on them but they can definitely add a lot to whatever Iā€™m doing. Certainly they always seem a better bargain than the forthcoming orange slab from they who shanā€™t be mentioned.

better bargain than the forthcoming orange slab

ā€“surely you are not referring to the Behringer Crave

Itā€™s a fair cop guvā€™ā€¦

meaning copy? ā€¦apologize didnā€™t get that expression:)

Apologies, I guess thatā€™s a very regional turn of phrase. It means ā€œyou caught me thereā€ like in old British films and tv programmes of the 70s the criminal would say, often in a London accent, ā€œitā€™s a fair cop guvā€™ā€ when caught by the Police to say that they were owning up.

3 Likes

gotcha

but still surprisedā€¦ ā€œBā€ has been in the forefront of democratization the niche market of the semi-modular gears with the rather decent Model and neutronā€¦if i were into the acid sound I would gladly get my hand on the C or the aforementioned gears.
I am also an owner and admirer of the ambitious Volca line with the exception of Kick and the new release. I like and use often FM ( not so recently but will do once i download more batches), Sample and Key

Well, I can see the appeal of the Behringer semi-modulars that have been released so far though they donā€™t appeal to me personally - I donā€™t think they quite exist in the same bracket as the Volcas and the Crave.

But to expand on my comment as to why Volcas are more appealing than the Crave and I think it comes down to tonal flexibility. Sure, the Crave has the patchbay which opens up a number of timbres but youā€™re never getting too far from itā€™s core sound of a single osc and filter. So, again, I can see the appeal for some people. But for me every comparable Volca has more interesting features - the 3 oscā€™s on the Bass and I have a soft-spot for itā€™s filter. The Keys has the interesting voice modes like Polyringmod and such like and the delay is grimey as get out and really works for me. I donā€™t think the FM is so comparable but never the less a great unit and itā€™s very easy to get from pretty cheesey 80s classic FM timbres to mental AE or Monolake tones just by motion sequencing the various mod and carriers knobs and (especially) the algorithim selectorā€¦

Anywayā€¦ I fear Iā€™ve strayed quite far from the topic hereā€¦

4 Likes

ā€œGet yer trousers on son, your nicked!ā€

6 Likes

I agree.

Randomization stuff!
3 Likes

Ha, I literally just logged in to post the same video. This thing has some range thatā€™s for sure. If anything, youā€™ll be able to get some great sample material out of it.

1 Like

Any thoughts on how well this would pair with a Digitone?

I donā€™t think the midi chart is available yet, so Iā€™m not sure what all youā€™ll be able to control if you sequence it from the DN. Also, I guess it will come down to if you like the sounds.

Iā€™m not feeling it as much as I had hoped, but there arenā€™t that many videos out yetā€¦

Just to expand on these comments to say that from what Iā€™ve seen the sequencer on the Volca Drum seems to be one of the most developed of the Volca range and itā€™s pretty much getting into Elektron-lite territory in a lot ways what with it have parameter locks and step probability.

Iā€™m keen to see the MIDI chart too but it wouldnā€™t be a deal breaker for me. Certainly, if you like the sound I can see it being a really nice companion for the DN.

My interest levels are bubbling away at ā€œstill pretty keen, but need to see more demosā€.

1 Like

The retailer I pre-ordered from said end of March. Waaaaaah.