Korg releases wavestate native and opsix native

Can you use the hardware as a controller for the VST?

If so, that would be a massive sell for both the VSTs and hardware

Woody Piano Shack having a go at it. He does say that he’s working with a beta version in this video. He’s having some struggles with MIDI learn, and says stuff like “damn, I wish my controller had aftertouch”, “I wish my controller had a joystick”

I feel like I don’t want to judge it for being able to run on a pi but knowing that it is likely limited by the power of a pi in the software land 150$ VST starts to feel like a bit of an ask to me, I suppose it is just the sound that counts, still hard for my brain not to think about it that way. 50 for people that own the hardware feels pretty fair though as it is also likely more useful to those people. I suppose it wont be long before it is on sale for 99 or something.

I suppose it is also kind of a statement about what they think the value of the hardware components + design are vs raw software in it. Which they also kind of over value given the keybed quality and then people saying the interface isn’t great.

I dunno I do sort of think this should be stirring up some mixed feelings for people. Part of the hardware when release was exclusive access to the sound but now it puts much much more weight on the actual build of the synth and workflow.

All that rambling aside seems like it should make a lot of people happy (especially the wavestate one)

2 Likes

Just tested.
So you can control the VST with the hardware only with the knobs usually sending CC .
Meaning only the notes, pitch/mod wheel, mod knobs, have an effect on the VST.
Second thing, a contrario from the Librarian app, you don’t have direct access to presets within the wavestate.
I guess you need to first export them and place them in the VST folder as they share the same format in theory.

2 Likes

Well, the original hardware Wavestate didn’t have after touch so most controllers will be an improvement and have more keys!

I did say that those are his comments, not mine

Not yet apparently, but I’m sure it’ll be “Native 2.0” or something.

1 Like

In my opinion, that’s really bad, I basically just spend 50€ in something which is not even doing the same things as the librarian … which is free.
So what do I gain here in comparison, except a different workflow and some space on my desk …
Disappointed so far …
I hope they will allow the wavestate to control everything as in the Librarian, and some kind of function to export directly the hardware preset in the VST folder without another step from the librarian.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your feedback.
It appears that the perfect native software WS would include the capabilities of both Librarian and Samples manager (don’t remember exact name for these apps) for seamless integration of hardware and software.
I hope some updates will bring these features, even if I’m a “buy stuff for what it is, not what it could be” guy :wink:

Don’t get me wrong, I think as is, as just the VST it is, it’s great!
But I don’t understand why the integration with hardware is not as good as with Librarian …
Therefore my disappointment.

I was talking to him through you :wink:

1 Like

I guess his comment was based on his previous experience with the old Wavestation. As you say, it didn’t have aftertouch, so he didn’t think of trying the plugin with an aftertouch capable controller.

Totally understand your disapointment, as perfect hardware integration with vst would have been logical evolution, imho

1 Like

Yeah! I’m really pleased with these being released as VSTs. I don’t think I’ll bother with the crossgrade price for the Opsix as I really enjoy programming it on the device and have more than enough FM alternatives ITB. I’ve always been interested in the Wavestate but I really can’t justify the space required to have another keyboard and so whilst I may have considered a module… as it is, and especially for how complex the synth is, it seems likely Korg will get a sale from me at some point (possibly quite quickly after no-gear-new-year ends for me).

I’m presuming that at some point we’ll see the ModWave making an appearance - perhaps 6 months down the line once the early demand for the hardware version is drying up???

1 Like

Korg is great.

1 Like

I’m guessing Korg has looked at how Eventide did with their decision to start selling H9/Orville algorithms as plugins, which led to the same plugins being reissued as separate pedals, and observing sales of those.

And maybe how Roland has done by essentially selling the same synths as hardware Boutiques and also as plugins, and as expansion options for some hardware like the later Fantoms and the Jupiter X series.

Then there’s Korg’s own history of selling MS-20 as a softsynth, which eventually led to the hardware reissue.

1 Like

I’m super excited for these. I’ve got a Digitone that I love, but I really like how Korg presents FM in the Opsix plug-in… kind of makes classic FM understandable. I don’t have space for a ton of hardware, so I never really could consider the synths, but Korg caught my eye with these. Curious how many others are in a similar situation.

I’m just starting to dip my toe into the world of vsts and these are tempting. The OpSix was very intriguing to me when it first released but all the negative press about the keybed kept me from purchasing one. I have limited space and can only have a single keyboard, so the idea that I can own the OpSix without worrying about space seems like a nice compromise.

1 Like

I had a play on wavestate and I was pretty deep and comprehensive , definitely better than a tiny lcd on the keyboard.
Sounds wise it seemed fine , some nice presets.
Only thing for me was the use of proper music notation symbols and not xox style programming… but that’s because I’m stupid.
Of the two I think wavestate is a more obvious purchase than opsix, those presets were generally very familiar.

1 Like

The Opsix is the one piece of gear I own that I thought would be nice to also have as a VST, so this is a welcome development indeed.

Opsix rightly gets a lot of credit for making FM programming understandable and playable, but I think being known for that actually obscures just what a deep engine it has under the hood. The selection of operator modes and waveforms plus a surprisingly deep drawer of modeled filters (especially that delightful MS-20) essentially make it a hybrid 6-op FM / 6-osc VA synth that can be either or anything in between.